I'm stuck, first Mac,

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vito, Oct 24, 2008.

1. vito macrumors 6502a

I must apologise for starting yet another “which notebook” thread however I’m not quite decisive as some folk so it does take me a while to make a decision.

This will be my first Mac, surprisingly I have converted several friends and family members.

I work as a project manager in IT so it’s mainly Windows + Linux + Cisco etc
    When I’m at home I mainly write specs, documentation, web browsing, video + music etc with some minor web development thrown in.

I will need to run Windows for some third party proprietary Cisco software unfortunately which I can do via Parallels.

I like the MacBook with the MacBook Pro is very appealing.

MB

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

MBP

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    250GB Serial ATA @ 7200

2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    250GB Serial ATA @ 7200

I assume the 5400rpm drives are pretty sufficient is it worth upgrading to the next level up?

I’m a little concerned over quality issues surround the new releases, I guess there’s always a few anomalies which get through the cracks,

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ok the MacBook is pretty much the same as the Macbook Pro except it has a smaller lower quality screen, integrated 9400m graphics compared to MacBook Pro's 9400m integrated and 9600m dedicated graphics.

with the 2.4 GHz MacBook for $300 more you only get a high stock clock speed, higher capacity stock hard drive and illuminated keyboard. if youre going to get the MacBook save your money and get the 2.0 GHz model and then upgrade the hard drive to more capacity at 7200 rpm and upgrade the RAM.

3. vito thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the prompt reply,

Do you think its worth spending that little bit more for the better screen quality?

Also does the 2.4 make a whole lot of "real world" difference.

I'm looking at keeping the notebook for at least 18mths

Thanks

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Get the Macbook Pro. Your eyes will thank you.

5. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Personally I'd buy the entry level MBP. Go to one of the Manchester Apple Stores and compare the screens; I've heard that the MPB is far superior.

JohnLewis.com offer two years guarantee by the way. ;)

6. vito thread starter macrumors 6502a

The MBP screen certanly looks more complete IMO from all viewing angles that I've seen it from.

I've been to TC Apple store the only thing which worries me is getting a BTO and having problems with quality as I've seen happen with so many other members.

7. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Get the stock 2.4 MBP. Try using it with 2gb ram. If it laggs, you can up the ram DIY (or let the genius do it). That way you can prove the build quality on a stock (easy to return) machine.

8. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

With regard to the quality remember that people who have problems tend to be more vocal rather than the satisfied users who have just happy.

Especially on the forums people come with problems looking for answers.

I think your needs would be met with the MB - however - I have a 15" and I am more than pleased I paid a premium for a bigger screen. Don't forget you could always buy an external monitor for a fraction of the price of a MBP upgrade if you need to use a larger screen from time to time.

9. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

2.0ghz macbook + dell 2408 is the best way to go imo. If you are doing all your work exclusively on the screen then get the macbook pro.

10. vito thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would I be okay to exchange a BTO i.e. send it back if there are imperfections?

11. vito thread starter macrumors 6502a

We need more folk to post if they're happy with their MB/MBP's!

I'm not looking to hook the notebook to an external monitor particularly as it will have to be the Apple Cinema Display if I do decide to, just to finish it all off. :D