iPod touch I'm Stuck in Safe Mode.... Need advice.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AppleRob., Dec 31, 2012.

1. AppleRob. macrumors newbie

Something very bad has just happened. I've had an absolute disaster.

Basically, earlier this week i installed Dashboard X, and i needed an empty page on my dashboard to put the widgets on. While searching the internet i discovered a tweak called 'HomeSpringPage' which is supposed to do exactly what i wanted, so i installed it.

When i rebooted my device the usual passcode screen came up but was completely unresponsive. The task switcher came up at the bottom of the screen and then my iPod went back to the Apple logo and rebooted again in safe mode. Realising something was wrong, i went back to cydia and uninstalled the tweak.

Then i rebooted and was greeted with safe mode again, the exact same thing had happened once more, even with the tweak gone.

Now i am completely stuck in safe mode and i don't really know what to do. Luckily i have a backup on the app Openbackup, but i don't want to use this as it will start downloading a load of 'dodgy' and unwanted tweaks. The backup probably was made yesterday. (Let's hope it doesn't get overwriten though).

I'd rather reinstall the entire jailbreak and start again from scratch, but i need to get a confirmation that my method will be correct and not result in more damage.

This is what i will do to re-jailbreak. Please let me know wether this is correct or not.

1. Backup any important things on computer using iExplorer.
    2. Update iTunes to the latest version. (It's on iTunes 10 at the moment i believe).
    3. Restore iPod to iOS 6 (Will iOS 6.0.1 or whatever it is still work with this jailbreak?)
    4. Open redsn0w and begin the jailbreaking process.
    5. Job done.

When i had to reinstall this jailbreak before, i seem to remember downgrading back down to iOS 5.1.1, would this have been before Apple stopped signing the old versions?

Anyway...

There may be a way to recover my iPod without going to desperate measures. I've got no idea what to try, so suggestions are very welcome and much appreciated.

Supposed to be getting an iPad 4 tomorrow so that's a good bit of news at least. Wish they'd get on and do this iOS 6 untethered jailbreak, the tethered one's doing my head in right now.

Thanks guys! :)

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

have you tried uninstalling while in safe mode? also what gen is the ipod? what firm ware? do you have shsh blobs?

3. AppleRob. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response. The answers to your questions are below:

1. Have you tried uninstalling while in safe mode?

Yes i have already tried this and it makes no difference. When 'Restarting springboard' i just get the safe mode again.

2. What gen is the iPod?

iPod Touch 4th Generation

3. Firmware?

It's running on the iOS 6 tethered redsn0w jailbreak.

4. Do you have the SHSH blobs?

No idea, i've never really understood what they are. The only thing i know about them is that you need your SHSH blobs to downgrade to lower operating systems which Apple is no longer signing off. What purpose would they serve in this case?

It's very good that you're trying to help, so thank you very much. :)