Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
As stated I have 10.5.8 having been a bit(!) tardy about updating I don't know how to go about upgrading now to Lion or Mountain Lion.

What's the best thing for me to do?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
As stated I have 10.5.8 having been a bit(!) tardy about updating I don't know how to go about upgrading now to Lion or Mountain Lion.

What's the best thing for me to do?
First, determine the latest OS X version your hardware will support. What year and model do you have? You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum OS version supported, by visiting EveryMac.com. You can find specs on your model by entering your serial number here.

To upgrade to ML, you'll first need access to the Mac App Store, which requires Snow Leopard (10.6.6 or higher). Call Apple to order a SL install disc (about $20). Then you an access the MAS and download ML, if your model supports it.

System requirements for OS X Mountain Lion
System requirements for OS X Lion and Mac OS X v10.6

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Or, from another user "stuck" on 10.5.8
Buy a new Mac with all the latest stuff.

Seriously, that's my strategy. I buy a new Mac when my current one no longer does what I want it to do. I then update the newer OS for as long as Apple releases them. I don't upgrade my OS until my computer will not run the latest release, then I buy a new computer based on the first criterion. My Leopard still purrs for me, so I'm content to be "stuck" with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.