Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Yeah..the funny thing is, i did try to contact him again after finding it was iClouded. As expected, I got no response.

This is my first (and hopefully LAST) time being scammed. I have to say, it feels pretty bad. :/

Umm... You weren't scammed. You agreed to trade a working phone for a broken phone... knowingly. Why you would want to do that is beyond comprehension, but you were not scammed. I'd say the guy on the other side of this was lucky to find someone like yourself that would trade for a broken phone, having no idea what was wrong with it.

On to new business... If you want another broken phone I have a beautiful 5s that won't power on that I'd be happy to sell you.

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2014
Michigan
On to new business... If you want another broken phone I have a beautiful 5s that won't power on that I'd be happy to sell you.

I'm absolutely poor, that's the problem lol At least till after Christmas and my birthday..thankfully they're only a month apart, so i wont have to wait too long to save up. But hey, if you still have it by the end of January, i'll get back to you on that!

Last edited:

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2014
Michigan
I'd say the guy on the other side of this was lucky to find someone like yourself that would trade for a broken phone, having no idea what was wrong with it.

I just thought it needed a battery, honestly. And to be fair, the 5C's screen was shattered.

Attachments

• IMG_20151130_094752.jpg
    IMG_20151130_094752.jpg
    935.3 KB · Views: 57

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
I'm absolutely poor, that's the problem lol At least till after Christmas and my birthday..thankfully they're only a month apart, so i wont have to wait too long to save up. But hey, if you still have it by the end of January, i'll get back to you on that!

If you're so poor, guarding your money and resources is even more important. Trading something you paid any money for without verifying the condition (water damage and locked IMEI) of the trade item was simply throwing your money away. Spending more money (i.e. buying another broken phone) to try to fix a broken phone is simply risking a waste of more money that you don't have.

IMHO...

C

Reactions: timeconsumer

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2014
Michigan
Just an update guys, im sending the phone to Gazelle. They offered me 21$ on an Amazon card. Now whether i actually get it is another story considering i can't disable Find My iPhone. Oh well. As long as the device is out of my life, i could care less

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Just an update guys, im sending the phone to Gazelle. They offered me 21$ on an Amazon card. Now whether i actually get it is another story considering i can't disable Find My iPhone. Oh well. As long as the device is out of my life, i could care less

It will most likely be sent back as they can't sell it with FMI active..

I gave up on Craigslist and eBay years ago, Swappa is the way to go, in my opinion.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
It will most likely be sent back as they can't sell it with FMI active..

I gave up on Craigslist and eBay years ago, Swappa is the way to go, in my opinion.
Gazelle can actually still pay you $$ even with the FMI active, but they will revaluate the value and lower the cost. But being that if the device is so old they will just give you no money.

I've had issues where I know I sent my phone and wasn't activation locked as clearly the FMI was disabled before I sent it. They claimed that it was on and told me they would re-evaluate it and lower the value cost. Which I then had the option to turn it down and get my phone back. I did get it back and e-mail Gazelle that they made a mistake as the activation lock e-mail wasn't mine. They offered me to send the phone back and honor my original value of the phone when I sold it regardless of the activation lock. It's their fault.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.