I'm Stumped - Access AWS LAMP EC2 Instance

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by thinkpatience, Jul 31, 2012.

1. thinkpatience macrumors member

So recently I was to hired to implement SEO into an existing website. Once I compiled all the information needed from my client, I was shocked when I saw let they used AWS to host there site. I've Never worked with AWS in the past.

I skimmed through most of the documentation from amazon and it seems that in order to connect to the server I need a Key Pair. Which is created along with the instance,

Ultimately I want to set up an FTP and use fetch.

Is it possible to log into the file system of the instance without the key pair?*

Will I be able to transfer the key pair file (.pem or .ppk) from their computer to mine?

Or am I just stuck restarting the instance in order to retrieve another key pair?

Any help would be great,
    Thanks

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I believe you have to start the instance to get your own key pair. Transferring doesn't work (...again I believe, not 100%)

3. beso323 macrumors newbie

Few things.

You will need the key pair from your client, that is a private key that is very important. Alternatively, you can generate your own key pair and have them put the public part into a new account (recommended)

Do not run FTP.. use SCP/SSH to do all your work. FTP is very insecure. (You will also need to install FTP, whereas SCP/SSH is already installed) You can use PUTTY / WinSCP to accomplish the same tasks for command line / ftp.

For Mac OSX, you will use CyberDuck / Terminal.

(Btw, serverfault/google might be a better place to ask)

4. thinkpatience thread starter macrumors member

Ahh, thanks for the information!

I just obtained the Key Pair from my client, and I'm looking into Cyberduck at the moment. Just found Serverfault as well, so I'm checking that out.

Thanks again!