I'm suddenly getting a lot of pop ups!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iqwertyi, Jun 29, 2013.

1. iqwertyi macrumors regular

Hi,

In the two years I've owned my iMac, I've never had a popup problem.
    I am using Chrome and I do have the AdBlock extension installed.
    I have never seen any activity on that icon until today.

Just visiting MacRumors, it's showing it has blocked 5 popups.
    All my regular sites gives me around the same popups being blocked.

I assume I have a virus? A Malware? Spyware?

Any ideas how to fix this? I know AdBlocker is working well and I actually haven't seen any of the popups, but it's annoying to know that something has changed and I'm now technically getting popups.

I would appreciate any help on this.
    Thanks,

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your issue has nothing to do with malware. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below), and none of those display the symptoms you describe. 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

I run several ad-blockers on Safari, as none are completely effective on their own. ClickToFlash, Safari AdBlock, GlimmerBlocker and JavaScript Blocker are just a few. I'm sure there are equivalents for most of these on Chrome. Also, double-check your settings to make sure your ad-bockers are enabled and up to date.

3. iqwertyi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick response.
    Well, I'm glad to hear it's not a virus or malware. But I am still getting the popups (although they are being blocked by AdBlock). Which tells me something got compromised (one of my family members clicking on sites randomly, etc.).

So, I'm trying to figure out how to fix the popups, more than just blocking them. Is this even possible?

I do have java disabled. I haven't installed flashblock yet.

Will changing my DNS to openDNS work in my scenario?

Thanks,

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your family simply clicking on websites cannot compromise anything. Changing your DNS servers may be advisable, but it likely won't help with pop-up ads. I don't use Chrome, but in Safari AdBlock, I'm able to right-click on an ad and manually block it, if AdBlock didn't catch it automatically. Are you not able to do that in Chrome AdBlock?

5. iqwertyi, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013

iqwertyi thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, AdBlock for Chrome is blocking all the popups (so far).
    My concern is, what happened that made all these popups happen all of a sudden. "Something" must have changed.

I ran ClamXav and that didn't find anything.

It just bugs me that there are popups (even if they are being blocked). I want to "clean" the system so that the popups do not happen.

edit:
    let me clarify.
    When i go to macrumors.com, I get five popups (that are being blocked).
    I know for sure, those are not Macrumor ads, so it's something in my system.
    That's what I'm trying to resolve.

Thanks,

6. SalTech macrumors newbie

What you are seeing is the latest update to Adblock for Chrome. It is now informing you of the amount of ads being blocked per page. I assume this is to alert users to the usefulness of said plug-in therefore donating to the author.

If you click on the Adblock button, a menu appears where you can turn off that functionality. "Show on Adblock button" has a check mark next to it.

You aren't infected with anything. It's not a bug. It's a feature.

7. iqwertyi thread starter macrumors regular

SalTech,

I... I think you're correct.
    Boy, do I feel dumb.
    Thanks!