I'm surprised more devs weren't iOS 8 ready.

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Razeus, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Razeus macrumors 603

It seems iOS 8 udpated apps should be flooding my App Store Updates, but nothing much with exception of several notables, mostly from Apple.

Any reason why devs weren't launch day ready? Sure alot of apps (games) don't need extensions, but surely most productivity apps do. I'm really surprised photo filter makers don't have extensions up and running yet.

2. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I'm surprised more devs weren't iOS 8 ready.

Agree. They had months to update the apps. Forget new features, some are crashing to the point of being unusable.

3. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603

I'm hoping more come in tomorrow with iPhone 6 launchcing. I was hoping to have more than just the Evernote extension on my lockscreen, which by the way simply takes you into the Evernote app.:confused:

4. highlightshadow macrumors regular

Looking through my iTunes app list ... i have about 80-90 apps updated since 16/09

They seem to be constantly trickling through updates.... don't forget Apple only allowed devs to push their final code bits to them recently ... therefore Apple will be snowed with:
    1. Apps that just need approvals
    2. Apps that are being submitted 2 and 3 times with minor field encountered bugs

It'll be chaos in Cupertino at the moment

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like quite a few have been coming through. Seems like a lot of devs have in fact been ready.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You don't want to relaunch your major redesigned app with everyone else. Not in the same week that everything's getting updated. The editorial reviews won't be as effective, and people already have spent their spare change for the month on launch apps to check out the new features exclusive to iOS 8.

But yeah, I've gotten tons of updates these past two days too. Don't forget that a lot of them updated for compatibility at the very beginning of the betas.

7. fmalloy macrumors 6502

Don't forget, Apple has to approve them and allow them into the store. They could be ready but sitting in an approval queue.

8. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Give then some time they will get too the updates.

9. cynics macrumors G4

I had 16 app updates an hour after updating iOS.

Only one app I have I notice needs to be updated that hasn't.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Im most disappointed in snapseed...or rather google buying. Bet doesn't get updated

11. fivedots macrumors 6502a

Why would you think that? I mean Google released a wonderful Gmail update today that included a new...icon. And zero iOS 8 features.

12. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Tweetbot 3.5 is coming, but they want to test it on the new devices first. I imagine a lot of devs are doing something similar. It's always slower with screen size changes.

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I have all apps updated just before iOS 8 came out yesterday. :apple:

14. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Goddamit. Both Google and Instagram release updates but refuse to get rid of those arse-ugly misfit icons.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, Google did update their Gmail icon just today. Instagram I think back when iOS 7 was released came out and said they weren't planning on changing their icon.

16. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Honestly, I was pretty impressed with how many of my apps had updates right away. I think I had 15 in the first hour, and another 8 so far today. The best so far was PCalc. I never even considered how nice it would be to have a calculator in the notification center.

17. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Perhaps some of these developers want to redesign their apps to take advantage of the 4.7 and 5.5 inch screens. They can't do that and then test in a real world environment until they have the devices in hand. It's a shame that Apple doesn't provide test units to reputable developers for form changes like the 6 and 6 Plus.

18. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Apple has a really good emulator, it probably got updated for support last week.

These are all high profile apps, these devs are probably idevice coding wiz kids.

Some of these teams may even have been on special privilege access, due to the high profile nature of the apps.