I'm switching and I have questions...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrat93, Jan 23, 2007.

  1. mrat93 macrumors 65816


    Dec 30, 2006
    First of all, I AM WAITING FOR A NEW iMac AND LEOPARD TO COME OUT BEFORE I SWITCH!! I have a Dell Dimension 4700, 70gb HD, 512mb of RAM.
    1. Will it be long for a new iMac and Leopard to come out?
    2. While I wait, should I upgrade to Vista? I need to upgrade to at least 1gb RAM.
    3. What would you do in my situation?
  2. Zwhaler macrumors 604


    Jun 10, 2006
    1.Nobody knows if there is a new update around the corner, but since there has been no rumors and the iMac is not the next to computer that needs to be updated (the Mac Pro is), I wouldn't really recomend waiting for a new iMac if you want a new computer now. I could see if there was an upgrade a month away, but there won't be anything til spring at the minimum. Just buy one now, it is still a good time to buy.

    On the other hand, if you have to wait, just buy a new iMac when it comes out. (which may be awhile)

    2.Don't waste your money on new RAM and Vista. Save it for more RAM and such in your new iMac :) Trust me, you won't be using your PC much once you get your mac.

    3.If I were you in your situation, I would buy a new iMac ASAP and enjoy the Mac OSX experience :)
  3. Chundles macrumors G4


    Jul 4, 2005
    Leopard will be out sometime in the first half of this year with an emphasis being sometime during the northern spring. There is no definite date for Leopard yet - my money's on early to mid April.

    As for iMacs, there isn't really anything suitable from Intel that's faster than what they have now and there won't be until around April.

    Can't answer your third question as I haven't seen or used Vista yet and I don't own a Windows PC.

    Well, the advice is always:

    "Buy if you need it, if you don't need it then wait."
  4. pianoman macrumors 68000


    May 31, 2006
    from a third source:

    1. Will it be long for a new iMac and Leopard to come out?
    Not sure about the iMac (buying one now is good, since they have the fastest processors available today) but Leopard should be available in the spring or early summer.

    2. While I wait, should I upgrade to Vista? I need to upgrade to at least 1gb RAM.
    Absolutely not. If you're planning to buy an iMac, why spend your money upgrading your current machine? Save your money for more RAM for your iMac.

    3. What would you do in my situation?
    It doesn't sound like you need a computer right away, so I'd wait for Leopard and any potential upgrades to the iMac. I'd make sure my iMac had 2GB RAM when I ordered it.
  5. ero87 macrumors 65816


    Jan 17, 2006
    New York City
    get the iMac now! it's an amazing machine.

    Load it up with RAM and you're good to go :)
  6. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816


    Dec 30, 2006
    When I get an iMac, I will be getting 2gb of RAM. There probably isn't, but is there a way to add the RAM I have now to the iMac?
  7. kainjow Moderator emeritus


    Jun 15, 2000
    No, you'd have to get new ram for your iMac. The iMacs weren't updated too long ago, so I'd go ahead and get one now (they are the faster Core 2 Duos) and put 2GB of RAM in it, and also put aside $130 for Leopard.
  8. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

    Scarlet Fever

    Jul 22, 2005
    nope. The iMac uses notebook RAM (PC5300 DDR2)
  9. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816


    Dec 30, 2006
    Ehh... thanks everybody. I'm just gonna wait. For some strange reason, I like waiting when I don't have to.
  10. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a


    Jun 7, 2005
    Good idea. I'd do it too. I waited a while for the macbooks to get updated and for me it's definitely worth it. If you have something to tide you over why not.? I also recommend the RAM increase and to have fun!
  11. thugpoet22 macrumors regular

    Apr 26, 2005
    New York
    I would wait if you did need a new mac at the moment. Leapord is going to be a great release but like all new releases its going to have a few bugs. So if you going to wait for a new imac and the new OS keep in mind that you might run into a few bugs.

    I truthfully wouldn't waste my money on vista. It looks and feels like xp with more "candy" Its like taking nasty candy and changing the rapper. I actually like xp and i loved windows 2000 but with vista they were suppose to create a new file system but its still using the old NTFS. So dont even waste money on getting the memory for that system for vista. Hold on to that money for the imac.

    If i were in your situation i would save my money. As for me i needed a portable computer. I wanted a mac, and i heard the macbooks were going to be released. This was before they were actually released. I figured since so much was going to be changed in the next portables that i would wait even though i needed it right then and there. I dont know how much of a upgrade the next imac is going to be but its usually drastic. So if you can wait wait but if you need it right this second i would get it and enjoy.
  12. Ashims macrumors newbie

    Nov 2, 2006
    Even if you dont get a mac ever, dont for gods sake upgrade to vista. I can honestly say from extensive personal experience (and me being an OSGeek), its not even worth the punch cards its printed on.


Share This Page