I'm switching... back again.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by villicodelirant, Aug 16, 2011.

?

Switching back and forth. Does it mean I'm an idiot?

1. Yes, because you shouldn't have switched back.

11.1%
  2. Yes, because you shouldn't be buying a Mac AGAIN!

11.1%
  3. Yes, because you can't seem to make up your mind.

11.1%
  4. Uhm, not really. It doesn't matter, it's just... a brand of computers.

66.7%
  1. villicodelirant macrumors 6502

villicodelirant

Now, I have been using computers for the last 15 years.
    Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, every flavor of Linux, Mac.

I had used Macs before, but my first Mac was a white iBook G3 I bought in 2003.
    Loved it.
    in the beginning.

Then I started to hate it.

By 2008 I wanted it and Apple to turn to dust.

Why?

Stuck with Tiger, forced incompatibility with the new OS, no new iTunes, wouldn't play Youtube videos (I mean SD ones - oh, by the way, thanks Adobe, I hope HTML5 will wipe Flash away), couldn't add DVD-R, couldn't add AirPort (you see, Apple discontinued it and it went for like 150$ on eBay).

So I switched back.
    Bought an ultra cheap Acer box in 2008, Vista had just come out and did a lot of interesting things ripped straight out of OS X (e.g. Spotlight-style search).

Sheer CPU power helped me a lot at the time because I was producing and performing music, so being able to run a couple of VSTs on stage with little latency was a good thing.

I also had very tight money at the time (or so I thought - NOW I really have tight money).

Well.

That was a bad idea.

"Well, it's almost the same".

That's what I kept thinking for the first 2 weeks I had it.

I spent the subsequent 5 years thinking: "I hate this piece of ****".

That, and buying additional hardware, reinstalling software and experimenting various combinations of EVERYTHING to have a smooth experience.

Now, I can affirm that a smooth experience can't be had on a PC.

You can do a lot of interesting things with PCs.
    Many things you can't do with a Mac, even.
    But if you want a Mac-like desktop experience... no way.

Oh, by the way, Macs are also very affordable, in comparison with all the money I spent on junk over the past 5 years.

As soon as I land a decently-paying project (not easy in the current economy) I'm throwing all of this garbage out of the window, burning the desk, too, and then I'll get a MBA or a Mac Mini (more likely a MBA) and a shard of glass to put it on.

What do you think?

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Wow. That's what I think.

Using Windows 7 as a Bootcamp partition and running Ubuntu in Parallels right now, I can say that you can definitely have a smooth desktop experience, you just have to know where and how to get it.

EDIT: Had to take down because my IP address is on there lol; will edit and repost later.

That's what my Windows 7 looks like and I'm working on Ubuntu right now, although have to do a lot of reading to actually get accustomed to the OS.

But yea, you're going to love OS X. SL is great and I'm sticking with that for a while but Lion is... interesting. It will take some time to get used to it but once you do, I'm sure you'll love it.

3. villicodelirant, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

villicodelirant thread starter macrumors 6502

villicodelirant

I know where to get it: store.apple.com.

I tried Ubuntu too.
    I'm more of a traditional Linux guy (I'm writing this from a Slackware box), but I tried Ubuntu too.
    It's close, just... not quite the same.
    It's like OS X 10.2, at best.
    In the meanwhile, Lion guys have gestures, incremental filesystem, Time Machine, a number of very clever user interface tweaks, Mission Control, resume, autosave...

And Snow Leopard guys just have a system that's beautifully designed and integrated, where every bit makes sense.

I can't get that out of a PC - God knows I tried.
    Doesn't feel the same. Even if you enable the top menu bar in Gnome.

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Oh ok. So.....yea, use Lion/Snow Leopard then?

In total you like SL/Lion because it feels like a more complete system.

There are alternatives on pretty much any OS to get what you want done there as well; when I first got a Mac I found out about keyboard commands and had no idea they were there as well on Windows.

The polish of applications and the coherence you have is definitely higher on OS X though. But hey, that's what you get with a closed ecosystem and software designed specifically for hardware.