I'm Switching To AT&T - What Can I Expect?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M0bile, Jun 10, 2008.

1. M0bile macrumors regular

So I'm switching to AT&T from Alltel so I can get an iPhone 3G. I just want to know what I can expect to be paying beyond the $69.99/month (I'm getting the cheapest plan). Are there any fees or additional costs (beyond activation)? What shows up on the bill? Does AT&T really include every text message on there? I'll probably be the one getting the bill, but that just seems like a waste of paper. Anything else that I should know/be aware of? I don't need "OMG AT&T SUX DEY CUS2MA SERVS IZ BAD" or "DA PLANS R XPNSV". I'm aware that people feel that way, that's not what I'm looking for. Coverage in my area is not a problem either (including 3G). Thanks for any helpful responses.

2. heyp macrumors 6502

you can expect to randomly miss incoming text messages... real annoying

3. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

You'll have to add another $5 for 200 texts. Plus taxes, whatever they are in your area. Mine are about $6 for my $60 plan.

Everything shows up in the bill...even every time your phone polls for email, but you can get paperless billing and it's all in a PDF.

In my area, the AT&T coverage is head and shoulders above Alltel. I had Alltel before I bought the original iPhone. Couldn't get a signal in my house, at my office, etc. Never have had a problem with AT&T except out in the boonies occasionally.

4. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Well if you get the cheapest plan everything would equal about $75, not including taxes and with 200 SMS. The voice plan is $39.99 and the unlimited data is $30. Text messages are $5 for 200, $10 or $15 for 1500 (not sure), and $20 for unlimited. So you'll be paying at least $80.

And I'm not sure if they show every text on the bill.....uh oh. That sux for me cause my mom pays the bill.....lol Anyone else know if they show every text and whats up with that?

5. agbot macrumors regular

I thought that was just me. What a pain.

6. M0bile thread starter macrumors regular

Good to hear about paperless billing.
    Taxes in my area are 6%, so I'm looking at about $4.20/month.
    I think I might skip out on texts and just have people email, MySpace, and Facebook message me. I usually go over my text limit with Alltel :eek: What are the fees for that, does anybody know?

Are there any other monthly fees I should know about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdULhkh6yeA

7. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Yes!! It seems incoming (and sometimes outgoing) messages just randomly seem to get lost.

They don't show every text on the bill. It's certainly not showing up on mine. I receive a 2 page bill in an envelope and I send around 2000 text messages a month.

8. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

O wow. Thanks for that video. Lol. I am sure some of her texts were on the naugty side. Anyways, I think I will have my mom do the online billing when the 3g comes........

9. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

You can expect really bad customer service, huge overages, and a company that does not care about its subscribers at all. Fu*k ATT! I tried them and they managed to get my account mixed up with some mexicans, so whenever I called them, they claimed I was some jose garcia.

Come over to T-Mobile! They are cheeper, very friendly and guenuinly care. They have won JD Power asst. awards for the last 7 years for outstanding service!

10. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

They don't show the contents of the texts, just that you sent or received one.

11. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816