Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MotorolaPhotonFan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2018
What model of iPhone has the best battery life and what one is the most durable? Those 2 things are pretty much all that matter to me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, the larger the iPhone the bigger the battery, the more battery life it will have. So basically it would be the iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X essentially. As far as durable, what exactly do you mean by that?

MotorolaPhotonFan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2018
Well, the larger the iPhone the bigger the battery, the more battery life it will have. So basically it would be the iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X essentially. As far as durable, what exactly do you mean by that?
Does the glass break easily?

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Does the glass break easily?
That’s subjective. It’s like asking someone if Doritos blaze are hot. To some people they’re mild and to others they feel like an inferno in your mouth.

Best battery life will be with an 8 plus, 7 plus, and X. You could also get stellar battery life with a 7/8 and an Apple smart battery case.

The most durable along with battery life would probably be an iPhone 7 with a smart battery case. More mah than any iPhone plus the metal back will survive falls a bit better than glass. If you want a bigger phone the 8 plus is undisputed for battery life. Not sure how the X and 7+ match up, but it’s probably very close.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
I’d go with 8+ the metal still will ding and bend. Ask me how I know. I had my 7 in an apple leather case and I dropped it about 3 feet on some small rocks, it didn’t do much to the case, but it left a ding in the back of my iPhone.

ILowry82

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2014
You will sacrifice battery life with the 7+ vs the 8+. MaH numbers only tell half the story. The A11 chip does wonders for the battery life. I noticed a huge difference between the 7+ and 8+ battery life. I am currently using the iPhone X and I couldn't kill this battery in one day if I tried. I would recommend the 8+ or X and a good protective case.

Reactions: dominiongamma

Future-Proof

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2018
The 6s Plus has good battery life and is durable. It’s got more hours of audio playback than later models but 1 less hour than the 7+ and 8+ in web surfing and video watching time, though in reality the 8+ does seem to last a little longer than the 7+. But the X beats all in the review videos I’ve seen on battery life. All iPhones are durable enough with a case...

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
The 6s Plus has good battery life and is durable. It’s got more hours of audio playback than later models but 1 less hour than the 7+ and 8+ in web surfing and video watching time, though in reality the 8+ does seem to last a little longer than the 7+. But the X beats all in the review videos I’ve seen on battery life. All iPhones are durable enough with a case...
I have yet to come across a single video or source claiming the X actually has better battery life than the 8Plus.

http://bgr.com/2017/12/22/iphone-x-vs-iphone-8-battery-life/

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I’d go with 8+ the metal still will ding and bend. Ask me how I know. I had my 7 in an apple leather case and I dropped it about 3 feet on some small rocks, it didn’t do much to the case, but it left a ding in the back of my iPhone.

Metal dents, glass shatters; I know which I would prefer in a caseless phone; an iPhone with a dented metal back is much less expensive to repair than an iPhone with a shattered glass back.

What model of iPhone has the best battery life and what one is the most durable? Those 2 things are pretty much all that matter to me.

If you are willing to use a good case either the 7+ or 8+ will be fine as far as durability is concerned. I think getting 3rd party warranty which covers accidental damage is the best route if you are hard on your phone or if it will be used in an environment where the possibility of damage is likely.

Last edited:

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Metal dents, glass shatters; I know which I would prefer in a caseless phone; an iPhone with a dented metal back is much less expensive to repair than an iPhone with a shattered glass back.

If you are willing to use a good case either the 7+ or 8+ will be fine as far as durability is concerned. I think getting 3rd party warranty which covers accidental damage is the best route if you are hard on your phone or if it will be used in an environment where the possibility of damage is likely.
Imo I’d rather replace the glass then have a dented back. And the reason I say that is cause you have to replace the whole body of the iPhone to get rid of the dent. Where as glass just take it off and put a new one and it looks brand new again.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Imo I’d rather replace the glass then have a dented back. And the reason I say that is cause you have to replace the whole body of the iPhone to get rid of the dent. Where as glass just take it off and put a new one and it looks brand new again.
Not the iPhone 8. You need a whole new phone for the back glass because of wireless charging. Its not like the 4/4s.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Assuming you just have an intact but scratched glass back it takes the same amount of work to replace a glass or metal back. Once the back is damaged however...

Back in the iPhone4/4S days it was a simple thing, but now that we have glass unibody phones it is very time consuming to remove all of the small glass shards attached to the metal back plate. It is infinitely easier to replace a dented metal back.

[doublepost=1527093677][/doublepost]Here are two example of what we are discussing:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.