I'm tempted to sell my iMac...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by davidg4781, Mar 3, 2014.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Any thoughts on this?

It's been sitting in my spare bedroom for probably a month and hasn't even been turned on. Every day that goes by it loses value. I bought it just for the neatness of it but rarely use it.

If I do sell it I can also sell my copy of Leopard which is selling for a pretty good price, along with some older versions of iWork and iLife. I've kept them around in case I ever needed them. I also use to be a bit nostalgic but as new hardware comes out rendering old ones useless, I've found I'd rather sell them now than later for less.

Maybe the reason I don't use it much is because I don't really have a place to use it. It's sitting on a TV tray in the spare bedroom in front of a futon. To use it I have the keyboard on my lap and the mouse on the futon part. Anywhere else in my apartment I get poor wireless signal.

Maybe I need to get a desk?

2. gooser macrumors 6502

if you truly consider it useless then i agree, it's time for it to go.

3. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I see that it's a 20 inch :cool:

Always wanted one! Along with a Cube, a QS, a iBook G4, Xserve G4, a bunch of G4 macs.

4. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't know if I'd consider it useless. I'm able to browse the web with Ten4Fox. I have iWork to do any kind of work on there, and I'm sure there's lots of PPC apps I can get that are functional and still inexpensive. I just hate seeing it sit in here doing nothing. I bought an ACD that I can use on my MBP and quite honestly, I've rarely used that since I just use it on my lap or in bed. If I had some major work to do I'd use the ACD but for now it's just used for recreation.

----------

Yes, and it's pretty nice, especially after adding 1GB of RAM. I actually used it quite a bit for the first week I had it but I couldn't get any internet to it.

5. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

if you are not happy having it around then yes sell it to someone who will want it. If you still love having it but don't use it every day that's fine. We all keep things that mean a lot to us but it doesn't mean we have to use it everyday.

6. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Maybe I'll keep it around. And maybe I'll get a desk. I came into the spare bedroom to get some stuff and saw this. Made me feel bad that it's been sat in here all alone for this whole time.

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I'd buy it if you were local but after shipping, I don't really see much value in it. I keep checking locally for one but I never see them.

8. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I make make a backup of leopard install in case you ever get the love for a ppc again.

9. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Just curious, if you do sell it, what are you looking to get for it?

10. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Trying to get a mixture of Macs I see! Sell a Mac Pro and get/trade for a MBP, and buy this lol

11. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I still love PPC macs. I'd also love to find a HR 1.67 powerbook and replace my regular 1.67.

12. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Is the normal 1.67 good all around? I'd love to also get the HR someday :D

13. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I think between $100-$150.

14. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I'd snatch that up in a heartbeat if you were local.

15. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

I'd check to see if a starving teacher near you would like to have it first.

Especially check with art and music teachers, because they tend to get NOTHING from their board offices.