Im Testing ATT Vs Verizon and iP4 Vs iP4S...question..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lionheartednyhc, Oct 14, 2011.

1. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Hey.
    So I decided to geek out a bit and run an experiment. I have an iPhone 4S from VZW as well as ATT in addition to my old iPhone 4 from ATT. I wanted to figure out definitely what is better in my area because I get crap ATT reception.

My main question is: Are the field test numbers on an ATT phone equilevemnt to the field test numbers on a VZW phone? I.e. if Im getting -87 on VZWE and -101 on ATT, is that a fair comparison to judge the signal strength? Or does ATT and VZW measure it differently?

If you guys have any tests you want me to run, in addition to Upload/Download/Field Test, let me know and I will do it!

Thanks!

2. vegastime macrumors regular

Any results from your tests?

Curious to see how the speeds vary in actual real use.

3. lionheartednyhc thread starter macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Yep..

So I didn't have a chance to do a very scientific test like I was hoping (partly because I didn't have time, and partly because as soon as I realized how much better Verizon was for me, I immediately switched over. FU, ATT)

First, a note: I live in San Francisco, where ATT is notoriously bad. So my specific situation will not necessarily mean anything for you in regards to which carrier is better. But hopefully it will give you a better idea of the differet phones and carriers.

Now onto the "test"
    I tested the phones in two different locations.
    I tested date speeds (Up. Down, and Ping) using the Speed Test App. Sadly, I only tested these in Area A.
    I tested the signal strength with the built in Field Test Mode (dial 3001#12345# to get it)
    (A note about field test: lower number is better)

Area A: ATT service for me is normally decent. I can make phone calls, but its never amazing quality. Sometimes they drop.

Area B: ATT has no service here. My phone usually shows 1 bar or "no service"

[​IMG]