I'm thinking about Jailbreaking and have a few questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Macguy1138, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Macguy1138 macrumors newbie

Hi there!
    So with the recent announcement of Jailbreaking now being legal, I decided I just might jailbreak. However, I was wondering if any one knew the answers to these questions:

1: Is it legal to Jailbreak in Australia, or only in the USA?
    This question doesn't matter as much, but I am interested.
    2: If I ever restore my iPod in case I need to send it in for warranty or something, how can I keep my game save files, such as my Angry Birds progress?

I've googled around a bit, but I haven't found a definitive answer yet, so basically, is there some clear step-by-step guide on how to back up game progress, even before jailbreaking?
    3: Will I still sync, charge and buy apps through iTunes?
    Because I still have iTunes store credit, and even after using it all up, I want to keep buying through iTunes, not through pirate sites. I'll obviously use Cydia or whatever it's called for apps that aren't on iTunes, I just like my whole iTunes set up, and I'd hate to have to start using some other software.
    4: With only having about 1gb left, will that be enough room on my iPod, and will the speed dramatically decrease?
    I can go through and delete some things if this is a problem.

Well that's all I think, and thanks in advanced :D

P.S
    Please ignore my childish user name - I made it when I was younger :eek:

2. ranguvar macrumors 6502

1) I don't know. [However, laws should exist only for a good reason. (You shouldn't drive slowly near a school because there's a speed limit but because driving slowly is the right thing to do in order to protect the kids.) There's no reason jailbreaking should be illegal, so as you have already said, even if it were illegal, it really wouldn't matter.]

2) I believe the built-in iTunes <---> iPod backup should take care of that, I'm not 100% positive though.

3) Yes, you can still use iTunes like before. (It's good to see you apparently don't want to pirate apps, thumbsup for that!)

4) I believe that should be enough room. You're going to have to restore your iPod anyway during the jailbreaking process, so make sure you back up all your data before! Speed isn't going to change unless you install apps like backgrounder (for true multitasking).

Hope I could help,
    -- ranguvar

3. Macguy1138 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just wondering that, cause I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that the iTunes backup isn't 100% reliable.

Haha, thanks. I'm quite anti-piracy :p

And thanks for all the other info :D

4. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Im not sure if this is true but ive heard that the iPod keeps a log of data so if you do bring it in for warranty they can find out.

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The backup includes all app data, including game saves.