I'm thinking about starting a website. Need suggestions!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by IBradMac, Aug 13, 2009.

1. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I was thinking about starting a blog site..I was needing some suggestions on where to buy the domain and all that good stuff.

Is there somewhere cheap I can go to get this?

2. maddor1 macrumors newbie

web.com maybe?

3. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

For domains check out namecheap.com. Prices depend on what type of domain you want, but you will be out at least $10 for a .com domain.

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Checkout dreamhost.com, they have decent prices and Wordpress, the blogging software you'll probably want to use, is a free install.

5. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Virtually every hosting company offers wordpress, many even offer more features than dreamhost at a lower cost. If you want to pay monthly with dreamhost they make you pay a $49.95 setup fee, essentially forcing you to go the yearly route, which makes no sense financially.

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I'm sure the OP would love for you to name a few, since that was his question. I've used dreamhost and been happy with them. I pay yearly and it doesn't bother me.

I didn't tell him it was the only option. I just said check it out. Flaming my suggestion without offering any alternatives doesn't help him out much.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I would recommend 1and1.com because they are fairly cheap but their servers have been screwed all day.

8. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

I'm not flaming your suggestion, just pointing out a flaw. If the OP wants cheap domains, I recommended namecheap.com. For web hosting I would recommend the OP head on down to webhostingtalk.com shared offers section for a wide range of good hosts that he/she can pick from depending on budget and resource needs. $50 setup fee can pay for a year of quality hosting.