I'm thinking about trading my Touch for another PDA - what are my options please?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by viborg, Dec 31, 2007.

1. viborg macrumors newbie

The iPod Touch is a really cool toy but is lacking in some essential features for me:

- a text editor
    - PDF reader

I'm very wary of hacking my Touch since that instantly voids my warranty, no?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I would wait until after MWSF.

An SDK for the iPhone and I believe Touch will be introduced. This will be aimed at third party developers which will allow for customization of the iPhone and I believe Touch.

Who knows, maybe what you are looking for will be available soon.

3. viborg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks...I was thinking along the same lines, but right now I'm looking at the 14 day window I have to get most of my $400 back. I've only had it a couple days, but so far the most frustrating part is not being able to do any work offline. For example, I downloaded the full iPod Touch manual but I'm unable to view it unless I'm using GMail.

4. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

What led you to believe that the touch was a PDA? It is a widescreen iPod and apple advertises it as such. Nothing more.

5. viborg thread starter macrumors newbie

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Sounds like you haven't Jailbroken your touch yet? There's a PDF viewer, I think, as part of the mobileFinder suite of applications. You can get the iPhone's Mail.app and work on your mail offline that way. You're correct though, that there's not a lot of good ways to get 'work' done (by that I mean editing/creating documents) on the touch, ATM.

It's not really set up for that, yet, but it's getting there via 3rd party apps already and the SDK isn't even available yet. As for other PDAs, well, it really depends what you want to do. The PDA market is in a bit of a funk right now as most people seem to be interested in smart phone devices, not stand alone PDAs.

7. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I have to agree.

I've been researching PDAs for my department at work and have run into a brick wall as far as stand alone PDAs go. Everything is shifting to SmartPhones.

Personally I use a Palm Treo 650 (on Verizon) that I bought from a co-worker when he bought the iPhone.:D I like it...

The alternative that we use other than SmartPhones are the HP iPaq 2410. I don't recommed it.

8. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

According to the ever-reliable Wikipedia, a SDK will be available for the iPod Touch and iPhone will be available February 2008.
    "On October 17, 2007, Steve Jobs, in an open letter posted on Apple's webpage, announced that a software development kit (SDK) for the iPhone would be made available to third-party developers in February 2008...The SDK will also apply to the iPod touch."
    -Found this on Wikipedia, searched "iPod Touch"-

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

SJ already announced that the SDK will be created. So at MWSF, I believe that the key points of the SDK will be covered.

Availability of the SDK is another issue, but sometime in February sounds about right.

10. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I honestly don't know much about the SDK for the iPod Touch yet.
    I was doing research because I was thinking about jailbreaking my touch...again; but if a SDK will be available soon, I'm just going to wait.

11. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Nokia N800 table maybe a nice option for you. It has two SDHC card slots, touch screen and emulation support to run any Palm OS software you want so you can make it double as a PDA. Best of all you can get one for 250 or so new and then for 90 bucks get a 16gb sdhc card and yeah that is one option.
    Another option would be the Dell Axim X51(pref the v model with 3.7 vga screen while the other models had a 3.5qvga screen). It came with WM 2003SE but WM5 was an option, WM6. You can get one for $300 for the model with wifi and close to 350usd for the model with a vga screen. Then you can get a 16gb CF card for 90 and you are set. Or with a simple hack you can get SDHC support(device comes with SD and CF card slot).
    Unless you want to wait and see what Apple brings out.

12. franzmueller macrumors regular

Yeah me to

I am returning mine cause it doesn't make coffee :eek:

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

On the regular iPod you can add PDF files to iTunes, and you can read on iPod. Have you tried this with iPod touch? (Make a smart playlist of PDF files).

14. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Not really. It's a software mod that can be reversed pretty simply. Apple would have to prove that the modification caused the whatever problem you were trying to get warranty work done on.

As far as I've heard, no one has had any trouble getting Apple warranty service on a modded touch (so long as they reset it to stock first).

15. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

16. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I've not jailbroken my touch yet. Haven't needed to as its a pure entertainment device for me while I travel.

I'm looking for a smart phone that will be useful enough so that I can leave my laptop at home

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

At this point, you only need to wait 14 more days and then you will know what is the best course of action to pursue.

18. goldenlotus macrumors regular

I assume the SDK for the iphone and touch will be exactly the same because all the iphone hacks that are hardware specific work on the ipod touch. The iphone and ipod touch are exactly the same exceot for a few add ons like bluetooth/sim card/camera on the iphone.

I just hope that soon we'll see an ultra mobile based on a full OSX not the stripped down iphone OS.

19. Hmac macrumors 68020

The iPod touch is a music and video entertainment device that happens to have wifi and a web browser built in, mainly because Apple happened to have a bunch of that stuff sitting around from making the iPhone. Why did you ever think it was a PDA, or even aspired to be one?

20. viborg thread starter macrumors newbie

In a hurry, sorry

Re: the above question:

I thought that since the Touch supports Safari that I would be able to use up-and-coming web based apps such as http://www.buzzword.com (Adobe word processor), but the Touch doesn't support Flash, so no luck there. I assumed that I would be able to do a little more than look at videos and pictures while offline.

As far as the Jailbreak is concerned, that's my issue - once done, that means I void my warranty, right?

EDIT:
    I love these forums...I haven't had a chance to check back all day, but I knew y'all wouldn't let me down - thanks + feliz ano neuvo!

21. Hmac macrumors 68020

I am certain that once there is an SDK available for the iPod Touch, there will be an amazing flurry of apps available for download to that device, and I'd be very surprised if we didn't see enough software to turn the touch into a very sophisticated PDA.

As to warranty, the Touch can be restored at anytime, so it really can't be bricked on the basis of jailbreaking alone. I suppose there's the chance that it could fail while "jailbroken" and not be restoreable, and taking it in for repair they'd discover that it's been hacked. AFAIK, jailbreaking voids the warranty. OTOH, if it is restored, Apple can't tell if it's ever been jailbroken (some would say they can, but they can't).

22. goldenlotus macrumors regular

I'm pretty confident that flash will be supported on the touch/iphone within a year.

23. Cool6324 macrumors member

I have a Sprint Mogul Windows Mobile 6 pda. I prefer the touch to it, even though the touch has less features, it is more stable.

24. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Look at the HP 110/210 PDA series. Windows Mobile, standalone PDAs.

Nokia 810 internet tab might work for your needs.

And it's a long shot, but what about an EEE PC? It's tiny, about the same price as a touch, and is very powerful.

25. macbattle macrumors member

The 810 may have a keyboard, but it sadly they dropped the SDHC card slot in favor of a microSD card slot. Trade off you pay for.