I'm thinking of cutting the cable any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sumone, Jun 4, 2011.

1. sumone macrumors regular

We have been talking about this for a while and the decision is that it would probably be best to cancel our cable. In some ways I agree because there are not enough shows that interest me to justify the cost. However, I can't think of how to compensate for the loss of the shows I do like. I don't watch any "regular" tv networks I had Netflix for a little while, maybe I didn't fully explore it, but they didn't have much of a selection that impressed me. Does anyone know what other alternatives are out there?

2. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

You could purchase an HD antenna so that way you're not out of the loop with local channels. Other than that there are a tremendous amounts of contents the next day on the network websites. Also, there is a Hulu that will show content the next day it airs.

3. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I cut my cable months ago I save around $50 a month well worth it, I usually use youtube for t.v shows now.

4. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

A friend of mine did this after his third kid. He said he was sore for a bit but overall the procedure wasn't too bad.

Wait, what?

5. Streffert macrumors member

We cut our comcast phone/cable/internet. It was about 150/mo. Bought new VZ iphones w/ unlimited data, i jailbroke them, paid for MyWi, and we have netflix and standard HD antenna channels. i can watch any of my cable channels on hulu or casttv.
    VZ internet streams my brewers to MLB live, and i can watch streaming TV!

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

There is practically nothing on TV that can't be found on the internet anymore.

If I lived alone I'd cut out cable.

7. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

i laughed so hard at this.:D

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I did the same 2 years back, back when i was living at my parents we got cable however we also wanted the decoder boxes in our bedrooms also which cost us extra.

We ended up paying well over 150 for the service, all channels and the 2 extra decoders. Of course there was the "verbal" agreement that we would split it all 3 ways how ever that failed.

So i terminated it, i couldn't afford it and people where not helping paying the bills

9. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

This always amuses me because there are no true alternatives to cutting the cord. You can watch content from many providers on Hulu the day after, but these are typically sitcoms and other network TV shows you can get over the air anyways. Netflix & iTunes do a good job of supplementing the content with things from cable channels, such as Discovery, AMC, and History - but you'll end up paying 2 bucks an episode, or 30-50 for a season pass for just 1 series.

Oh, and you still need to pay $50 a month for the internet access to be able to enjoy all this. For another 30-50, you're getting a really great deal to have access to a plethora of programming at the click of a button on the remote. Everyone who says the content is available in other ways are absolutely correct; but nothing beats the convenience of cable TV.

10. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Cut it!

11. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Cut it. Between Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, Youtube and others, we see about everything we want to see. Most of our tastes are kinda retro anyway.

Save yourself about $50.00 a month and do it.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Between Hulu Plus ($8/month), Netflix streaming ($8/month) and an OTA HD antenna, I don't miss cable at all. The only thing I remotely miss is MNF... but this year it doesn't seem like that'll be a problem.