Im thinking of getting one

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SRS27, Sep 2, 2010.

1. SRS27 macrumors newbie

I really want to get an iPhone 4. However, I'm not rich and so my parents wont get one for me. I just want to know what is the absolute CHEAPEST way to get an iPhone? (I'm not asking for some chinese things, here. I'm asking for things like:

Cheapest version. I think 8 gigs
    cheapest plan

I also want the minimum amount of texts and calls

2. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

3. aohus macrumors 68000

How about get a job and quit asking your parents for money...

Work for it. You will probably like the ip4 even more

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Did you notice the part of the post where he makes it clear he's gonna be paying for it himself?

Yeah? You did? But you just felt like being a jerk anyway?

Go to an actual AT&T store and talk to someone. They often have cheaper plans than they list on their website. I have a smaller number of voice minutes than the website says the lowest one is. (I'm on a family plan, though, so what I have won't help you.)

Don't get a text message plan. Instead, get an app that does it. I use 'Textie' but there are tons out there. You'll have to train your friends to text that number instead of your phone number. If they mess up you'll pay for that text, but a few mistakes per month will still be cheaper than any of the text plans.

Do you have Wifi at home? Get the 200 MB data plan from AT&T and be VERY careful to only send photos and watch Youtube when you're on wifi at home or McDonalds or at school. Only check e-mail, blogs, and google maps when on 3G and monitor your usage closely each week. You can get by on the smallest data plan IF you save the big stuff for when you're on wifi.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I didn't mention this, but I also think that's a great suggestion. To get an iPhone "cheap" means making compromises.

The alternative is to get an iPod and just use it to its fullest extent. Of course it doesn't do as much...but sometimes it's betterd to use 100% of a small thing than 50% of a big thing.

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

iPhone 4 only comes in 16 and 32GB, the 3GS is the 8GB ;)

7. S.Kay macrumors member

S.Kay

Assuming you are still a minor, I would say you are far off from needing an iPhone. Set your priorities kid, if you ain't rich, then you have to be prepared to make comprimises.

As others above me said, your best is to get the 8GB iPod Touch, and just install Skype for wi-fi calling. It's pretty much an iPhone - minus the phone, GPS and a few other minor features.

8. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

I don´t know if anyone needs an iPhone though.

I mean some may use it for work, others for playing but they still don't need it.

9. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

If you're a minor, you're screwed anyway. If you have zero credit history, AT&T will charge you a minimum of a 500 dollar security deposit to even USE their service. And if you want to use it unlocked on T-Mo which may not charge a deposit, you still have to pay more (usually around 400-500) to get one unlocked.

I was in your same position (not a minor, just no credit history), and bit the bullet, saved up my money, and now I have the phone that I love. Get a job.

10. fraggot macrumors 6502

I get irritated when I see little kids walking around with their iPhones their parents bought them.

Do parents these days care at all what their kids are getting into to? I understand the phones and iPod Touches have Parental features but how many parents usually know about them?

Get them a free piece of crap phone that won't get under used like an iPhone would.

11. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

200$+5$text+15$data+10$to add line to family plan.

then use the last 3 every month.

12. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

+1 this phone is not cheap

even people with jobs have difficulty in paying their iphone bill

ipod touch + normal phone = sorry but that's what you have to do