I'm tired of restoring my iPhone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nouveau-apple, Sep 29, 2014.

1. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

Every time Apple comes out with an update, they say you have to back up your data, plug it into a computer with iTunes and restore it again.

I don't even have a computer to back it up to. But it's a bit excessive to do it 3 times in one week cause of their updates.

The most recent one has a bug that puts a notification badge on settings when there's no nothing to notify.

And I find things in iOS are now more broken than they were in iOS 7. Safari crashes, can't select text?

You have to just keep restoring. It's the answer for everything. Restore restore restore!

Can't we do it without having to be hooked up to a computer all the time?

... :'(

I can't do this any more

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Why not do an OTA update? Also you do know that you dont HAVE to upgrade right away every time right? just wait until 8.1, 8.2, 8.x to upgrade.

3. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

The OTA update is what's causing the issues

I'm disappointed that in 2014 they can't make a product smart enough to not have to be hooked up to a PC.

When I had my Mac I used to have to restore once a week

But that's not the only place where iOS fails

4. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

The iTunes restore usually isn't necessary. You can always do an OTA update. However, I highly suggest waiting at least a week before updating. That way, you can wait for user feedback and avoid buggy updates. :)

5. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

1) do an over the air update.
    2) iCloud backs up with out a computer.

----------

What issues does it cause?

6. tekkt0r macrumors member

i agree. after 13 years, iTunes and restoring anything is still jacked up. I did an iCloud restore and then synced my phone (6+) to iTunes. For whatever freaking reason, it only copied every other song from all my albums. WTF?

iTunes is still Apple's worst product.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Sounds like an isolated case. There are many, many others who are able to use OTA updates without any issue. No PC required.

That just isn't normal. Something else is going on. I've had to restore my iPhone 5s several times but each situation was my own fault(jailbreaking, beta versions of iOS). I did have issues with battery life on early versions of iOS 6 on my iPhone 4s, so I'm not saying that there haven't been problems.

8. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Weird stuff. Once every time I would pull down to spotlight, the phone would go into grayscale.

And of course the annoying notification badge on settings that won't go away.

This is 8.0.2

Trouble selecting text and using speech selection.

And also in iOS 8 you're supposed to be able to use notification center to see other apps.

I have personal capital app and it's supposed to show my recent purchases but it actually doesn't.

It keeps saying "tap to activate"

That's why I don't use that feature

9. jim.hickman.777 macrumors regular

Maybe you should try a android and leave us alone

10. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's a good idea I just found out the other day that iOS still isn't advanced enough to attach anything in an email except photos and maybe video but that's it.

How are you supposed to use the iPhone as a productivity tool when you can't even say, send your pdf resume, i9's and other files over email?

No uploading anything but pictures and videos in Safari either.

I know there's apps to get around it but still. Many of the apps are old too.

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I have always done my updates OTA, never had a problem. If I am at the office or house it defaults to my WiFi and it only takes minutes to complete. I back up once a week to iTunes and the 6 backs up nightly to the cloud.

All works pretty well if you ask me.

12. mintakax macrumors regular

Agree completely. Although better than it used to be, Itunes is a bloated, confusing piece of software. Apples worst for sure !

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

It's a bug in the software. That happens either way.

14. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've just about had it with the iPhone though. There is a lot better out there

•Safari crashes constantly I was trying to fill out a bank application and iOS just cannot handle it I think it's a problem with the predictive keyboard

And many other things

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

We had to do this before OTA updates became available and even so, you're not obligated to freeze in your path and update right away.

You're just spoiled.

16. shaunmed macrumors regular

HAHA, that's cute. I never restore, just keep updating.

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

You've made that clear in just about every post that you've made.

If upgrading iOS is a hassle to you, and iOS doesn't offer all of the features that you need, then seriously, the only logical choice is to find another mobile operating system that meets you needs.

It's not like Apple's going to come here, read your thread, and suddenly make it so Safari can upload XLS files.

I'm sorry that you're frustrated, but honestly, with the case that you've made in this thread, you've made it abundantly clear that iOS is NOT the OS that meets your needs.

That puts the ball in your court. Find an OS that does meet your needs, and move to it.

18. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Me 2. I've never had to restore or use iTunes, although I do use iTunes as a local backup and have iCloud as redundant storage but the OTA's work perfectly on my iPad and my new iPhone 6Plus.

On a different note I'm seeing quite a long pattern of negative posts and thread starters with registration dates of September 2014. Hmmm.

19. nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple is constantly implementing features and products that are hokey and broken. So this isn't new. I don't know if it's a rush every year to keep bringing new products to market but it's obviously not working for them. And then every time something goes wrong with an update that they pushed they say, oh, just restore it. But that's not a fix. It just leads to this never ending cycle of restoring it to factory settings.

But no they need to send all the iPhone's back to the actual factory and start over.

And I've been a lurker on this forum for years. Btw I couldn't complete it I'll have to call support and sign up that way.

I will be leaving iOS soon. I used to like it but it's just not what it used to be.

20. HenryDJP macrumors 603

You seem to be the only one with this much problem. I wonder why???

21. nouveau-apple, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014

nouveau-apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

22. jkeekij macrumors regular

What on earth for???

I can attach PDF's, Excel files, word files, etc. and email them all day long from my iPhone. I'm not too sure why you're not able to.

Obviously the Apple brand is not for you, and you may be better served moving on.

23. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Oh my gosh yes !

I can't keep up with all the updates my carrier hasn't or won't release

24. pish6969 macrumors regular

I've never restored anything by hooking up to computer. Everything saves to icoud. All updates I do OTA. what's the issue?

Only time I ever plug into computer is to resync if I add new songs to Itunes, but never to restore.