I'm tired of seeing old threads brought back

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Love, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Love macrumors 68000

Love

I've been noticing a lot of old threads being brought back. It's been irritating me a bit.

I think it would be a good idea for a thread that hasn't been posted to in say... 3 months, could automatically closed/locked. If a thread needed to be restarted, you could PM a mod, or start a new thread with a link to the old and a Part 2 marker.

Anybody in agreement?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I utterly disagree. How can the search feature be effective if a person finds a thread (because god forbid they searched), they read the thread (which is a huge step) and then they have a question. Under your system, they would post a new thread and then would be told to search?

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Personally, I have no issues with old threads being brought back to life.

I would much rather see on old thread brought back to life, than a bunch of new threads created on the same subject.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I often wonder why people mock those who searched. Sure, the iMac G6 thread from a couple of weeks ago was odd – but, for example. Person A posts about purchasing a pair of speakers, gets debated by users, Person A picks a particular pair. In comes Person B who then brings the thread back to life a couple of months later asking how Person A liked their purchase a couple of months later.

I don't see why this is such a problem or a negative.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The only time it bothers me is when they reopen a 2+ year old thread just to say thanks, add some other non-helpful post, or are actually trying to help the OP with not even realizing how old the thread is (and generally they give a solution already given years ago).

6. Love thread starter macrumors 68000

Love

This is more what I was referring to. There was a thread in the comm. discussion from Sep 2006 about nanny cams brought back today.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Report it? I agree that in that section bring up threads that go dead can be not so helpful? But the report button is there for things that are useless.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

+1. Yes, those are the ridiculous ones. A lot of posters don't even read the thread and then post. I could only see closing those threads, however, if there was no way to add value by posting something newer. But I'm sure the mods no better than us what needs to be closed or not.

9. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I agree with the OP, sort of.

I've also been seeing the 2/3 year old threads reappear a lot lately. A lock after 1-2 years wouldn't seem too harmful, however I think that after only 3 months a thread's still pretty relevant.

10. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I like for the threads to be kept open.

I would prefer someone BUMP a thread about an old issue if they are having the same rather then starting another

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I believe that this is the root issue.

I'm sure that the posting rates on MR would decrease considerably if everyone had to read the entire thread before posting. :)

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

wow can't please anyone on this board:cool:

only solution is not to post at all it seems

that way no one can complain if you didnt search and if you did, couldnt complain you revived an old thread

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Wow the female dog sensor didn't go off. That was sort of my theory, when there was some thread about searching a couple months ago I felt that we were putting users in a double-bind because we tell newbies to search, read and then post a new thread? I agree that in the community discussion but this is completely irrelevant if no one is going to read anyway.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What would really help is if all newbies (and some oldies) read the forum rules. I'm being facetious, but it would nice if there was some kind of test before you could enter the forums to post. This would cut down on some of the complaints we've been talking about.

Besides the OP here, one of the things that drives me crazy is many of the thread titles, like "HELP!" and others.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes, utopia would be nice. But, I don't know, there a couple of new threads a week about selling things?

16. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I think the system they have now is the ideal one. I've noticed that the occurrences of old threads being brought up for MEANINGFUL REASONS have been EXPONENTIALLY greater than old threads being brought up just by someone saying "+1".

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No it isn't. You said 3 months they said 2 years. Big difference buddy. :rolleyes:
    Don't let this bug you. You're free to ignore anything you please.

18. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

+1 to that.

Although I would add that threads on similar issues relating to newer platforms/products can be subjectively created post searching.

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I'm much more tired of people being so uptight about such trivial issues and coming up with absurd solutions to non-problems.

internet_serious_business.jpg

20. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Pleasing Everyone - How About...

How about a message at the bottom in large red/bold/whatever type that warns the reader to consider the thread is xx years old before replying?

Seems like a good idea to me (but then I came up with it, so it would).

AppleMatt

21. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

By reviving an old thread that is RELEVANT, you allow the evolution of information/discussion to be reviewed. You are far less likely to get duplicate posts in different threads is a specific topic is revived. Thay having been said, the value of reviving some threads (particularly the non-Mac OS or Apple hardware threads) is suspect.

I am more pi**ed off by ignorant/lazy people for whom in 30 seconds I can do a fourum or Google search (that they could have done) and spoon-feed them the answer.

22. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

On further thought, it's the Community Discussion sub-section. I cannot see how one can complain about what occurs, it's going to completely randomness anyway. If you are worried about clogging Spy with things that are not helpful excluding that in general would be the right idea.

23. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

The time when it makes me mad, is when some newbie posts and they say something that either promotes themselves, and/or doesn't help the thread in any way.

I mean, I'm fine with them asking for reviews, posting to say they bought the same thing, and reviewing it, asking questions, etc, but to say "Me too"....that does nothing.

24. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Report button is genius.

25. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I like that idea. But I seem to be unlucky in seeing far more irrelevant old threads brought back than relevant ones.