Im tired of the refurbs...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Pink∆Floyd, May 31, 2010.

1. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Well, my iPhone 3GS had cracks near the camera lens and near both speakers so I had to go and get a refurb, which sucked because I was planning on selling it since I could unlock it, more people would want to buy it, oh well...

Well I get home and find out the refurb had a small crack near the screw and it had a really bad yellow tint (compared to my cousins iPhone 3GS screen)
    So I go back to the store and tell them what I found, and they tell me the same BS that they told me the day before,
    "Oh yeah, this isn't pretty common, but I'll make an exception this time, its not anything major."

Now I'm back here at home and find all of these dead or white pixels scattered all over the screen. They are literally all over the place!!!
    Ok, since I don't want to back to the store to hear the same BS and waste my time, could I just buy AppleCare for the refurb I have, call AppleCare, ask for option 3 and get new iPhone?
    I'm just sick and tired of the trouble I have gone through...

Has anybody done this? :confused:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Make sure you inspect it 100% before you leave the store and tell the rep that you won't take it unless is defect free.
    AppleCare will extend your warranty by a year but you will still receive refurb units.

3. Pink∆Floyd thread starter macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

But they act like it's the first time they've seen a problem like mine!
    What if they tell me
    "Ohh, I can't see any dead/white pixels, are you sure sir?"

I'm not a dumbass, but they like to act as if they don't know such a common problem like this doesn't exist!

Any suggestions? :confused:

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, they act like it's just you and that they're doing you a favor.
    Just let them say whatever they say as long as they replace it
    for you.
    Be polite and it will do the job.

5. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

I think this must be the store customer service Reps standard reply, as I have had a phone replaced by almost every carrier, and they all act the same way. I wouldn't worry about what they say though, as long as they give you a replacement.

6. Pink∆Floyd thread starter macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Ok, I'll be as persistent as possible while maintaining my cool...

"I'm not leaving until I get a non defective unit in my hands"

Is this a good phrase?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, stay there and inspect it well.
    Don't leave untill you're happy with it.
    It might take a few phones but you will find one.

8. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Before they place your SIM card in the iPhone replacement, just let them know that you want to look it over first, as you have had a few bad ones in the past, and you would rather not have to deal with returning another one. As long as your polite, they shouldn't have a problem with it.

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I posted this in another thread:

Which was met with a response below:

I don't care what anyone says and you've pretty much proved my point. REFURBS ARE USED! Sure they're cleaned, tested, polished, and even parts replaced, but they are still OLD hardware that may test good at the time they were tested but still have age on them. AGE that can snap at any time.

Your phone's serial number will be listed as a refurb and not sure how AppleCare handles that. BUT personally considering what you've been through this far, I'd say go for it. Worse thing is you have AppleCare and you can at least get another replacement (sucks if it's a refurb also) but keep calling it in until your satisfied.

10. Pink∆Floyd thread starter macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Ok guys, I'll give it a shot tomorrow, and let you know what happened

Hopefully I'll meet with a different "genius" :D

P.S.
    I'm looking at my refurb's screen at full brightness with a solid black photo, now that my room is dark, and I swear it looks like the nighttime sky, little stars scattered twinkling on my iPhone's screen; this screen is just FLOODED with white pixels!!!

11. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Good luck, let us know how you make out with this.

12. Pink∆Floyd thread starter macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Well, I didn't exactly get another refurb, instead the genius i spoke to agreed to replace the screen...

Well at least I got a free screen replacement, hopefully this iPhone will last for a while...