Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teatsandbeer28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2016
i just started a new job where they want me to port my number into their ATT plan. I have 3 options.

1. port my number in ( More on that below)

2. they issue me a number and a iphoneSE

3. they give me a 25 dollar subsidy to keep my own phone and plan.

My issue is that my phone is still under a contract with Verizon and they want to charge me a 350 dollar ETF. I dont really want to pay that but it sounds like its my only option to keep my number and my phone. I have an iphone 6 64gb that is associated to that line on verizon. When i talked to the ATT sales rep in the store they informed me that if i wanted to take advantage of their plan where they pay my ETF fee to port my number in, i would have to trade in my iphone 6. I have my old iphone 5 that still works that i would prefer to trade in to keep my 6. ATT was insistent that i have to trade in my 6 in order to get the deal offered because they said that my contract with verizon showed that i have a 6 and that is what they need to issue me the credit.( Which i am calling BS on, but if thats correct please let me know) So i could do that. My third option is to sell my 6 on craigslist and get 300 bucks for it. Buy a new iphone 6plus for retail with that and trade my iphone 5 in. But it really doesn't make financial sense to do that with the 7 coming out in 2 months. In a perfect world, i would like to switch my contract with another line on my family plan but Verizon said its not possible. Am i missing something that would allow me to keep my 6 and port my number over to att for the least amount of money?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Never mind.
Verizon made a change to their etf policy to rip off their customers some more.
Things like that is why I can't stand how greedy Verizon is.

Verizon made a major policy change to its customer agreement that directly relates to your Early Termination Fee (ETF), a change that makes it more expensive for you to cancel service with the carrier in the first 8 months of your a 2-year contract, when compared to the previous policy.

The ETF with a 2-year contract used to decline by $10 for each full month of your contract term that you completed. With the new policy, you won’t see a reduction in your ETF fee until the 8th month of your contract term. In other words, you will pay the full ETF fee should you decide to leave Verizon, even if you have been with the carrier for six or seven months.

With the old policy, you would see a substantial reduction in your ETF after completing up to eight months, but the new ETF policy lays out a much different schedule. In the new policy, you are stuck with the full $350 ETF on “advanced devices” for the first seven months of a contract. From months 8-18, you will then see the ETF decline by $10 per month. Then from months 19-23, it will decline by $20 per month. In the final month of your contract, your ETF will reduce by $60.

The new policy only applies to anyone who signs a contract on or after November 14. If you signed a contract before November 14, the old $10 per month reduction still applies.

itsray

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2016
Before I started a new job a few months ago I gave all places I considered working (and the job I have now) for a google voice number. I did not want them to have my personal number on file. Didn't want them bothering me when I'm off. They can email or use the number I provided them. They were supposed to give me a company phone. But still havent received it yet. I've heard bad stories of people getting bothered on their days off on their own personal number.

teatsandbeer28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2016
I think i found a loophole. Switch the upgrade to my line, Use my line to upgrade to a dumbphone that retails for 50 dollars. Pay the 50 dollars off. Boom Roasted.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Before I started a new job a few months ago I gave all places I considered working (and the job I have now) for a google voice number. I did not want them to have my personal number on file. Didn't want them bothering me when I'm off. They can email or use the number I provided them. They were supposed to give me a company phone. But still havent received it yet. I've heard bad stories of people getting bothered on their days off on their own personal number.

Happened to me all the time. Luckily my job gave me a new work phone recently.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The company I work for is a small family owned business with less than 20 employees so there's no company paid for phones or plans.

But I am replying to this because of one experience way back in 2006. We got all new PCs and I was expected to help integrate them in to our network. The IT guy my boss had hired made the suggestion of me working on a Saturday (because he was trying to fit us in to HIS schedule). My boss took one look at my face and NOTHING has ever been said about me working a weekend or past 5pm ever again by anyone. :D

Last edited:

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
I think i found a loophole. Switch the upgrade to my line, Use my line to upgrade to a dumbphone that retails for 50 dollars. Pay the 50 dollars off. Boom Roasted.
That really seems like a waste of an upgrade... If you're on a 2 year contract it is generally a better idea to get a phone that maxes out the subsidy they're giving to you (e.g. Phone that is $.99 on contract with multi-hundred dollar retail price). Their rates take into account your possible use of the subsidy on an expensive smartphone, so using it on a $50 phone is like giving them money for no real reason.

As others have stated, option 2 seems like the way to go. Carrying two phones may be a bit of a hassle, but it seems like less of a headache than porting your number over. Seeing as how you'd have to deal with porting back over when/if you leave that job.

teatsandbeer28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2016
That really seems like a waste of an upgrade... If you're on a 2 year contract it is generally a better idea to get a phone that maxes out the subsidy they're giving to you (e.g. Phone that is $.99 on contract with multi-hundred dollar retail price). Their rates take into account your possible use of the subsidy on an expensive smartphone, so using it on a $50 phone is like giving them money for no real reason.

As others have stated, option 2 seems like the way to go. Carrying two phones may be a bit of a hassle, but it seems like less of a headache than porting your number over. Seeing as how you'd have to deal with porting back over when/if you leave that job.

Well i didnt give all the details on my plan. Basically we are on a family plan and we switched upgrades. So in order of fairness my next upgrade is in september. However, My mom and i switched upgrades. If i remained on the plan, my upgrade would be in september. but my mom's isn't for another year and a half. (the year and a half is technically associated with my line, which is like december of 2017) my dad's phone is off contract so i will be taking his upgrade and giving him mine that is allocated for September. So the lines end up like this:

My line: no contract
Dad's line: Upgrades in September.
Mom's line: upgrades next December ( she recently got a new phone).

So all in all it works out because my dad will be able to upgrade in September, i will be able to get out of my contract, and my mom's upgrade will remain the same.

Phonefanman

Suspended
Jun 21, 2016
Tell them you'll take the phone they give you as long as it's the iPhone 7 when it comes out.

Tell them the service for the phone is all the same price for them regardless of which iPhone...

And you're reasoning is you don't like to squint looking at your phone.. You don't want to overlook the bosses email or text because they issued you a girl phone...

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Tell them you'll take the phone they give you as long as it's the iPhone 7 when it comes out.

Tell them the service for the phone is all the same price for them regardless of which iPhone...

And you're reasoning is you don't like to squint looking at your phone.. You don't want to overlook the bosses email or text because they issued you a girl phone...
i just started a new job
If you were a new employee and demanded all that, you wouldn't be making a good first impression with your superiors.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
If you were a new employee and demanded all that, you wouldn't be making a good first impression with your superiors.
Lol, true.

As for all the attitudes about not wanting to answer calls on "personal time" well I can understand not wanting the disruption, but if you are young and ambitious, don't forget such an attitude is a good way to let your career stagnate especially if you work in a competitive environment with lots of upward mobility. The opportunities will go to the people willing and able to put in something extra of themselves. The payoff won't be immediate but will accumulate as you build your reputation.

One huge reason my husband got fast tracked on all the big promotions ahead of a crapload of other people from a low paying tech support job and ended up at the executive level with the income to match, is that he was willing to answer the phone outside of work hours and I was supportive of any schedule disruptions and worked our family life around them as smoothly as possible instead of resenting it. I used to answer emergency calls myself and knew what it entailed.

I understand some companies can be abusive. You don't want to stick around a place like that anyway. But if you find a good employer and there are needs that crop up, you give yourself and your employer a competitive advantage if you're willing to be responsive and have a positive attitude. Good luck with your new job.

My husband tended to stick with options most like 3 so he could choose his own iPhones and manage his plan as he saw fit. He simply looks at caller ID to determine if a call is personal or business. After all these years most of his coworkers are like family anyway, even to me. In fact, a lot of people we have known over the years will tend to stay together and move to different companies together.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

Don't follow this advice...it's bad.

Option 2 is good, but I'd take option 3. $25 back each month is a pretty good deal AFAIC.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Lol, true.

As for all the attitudes about not wanting to answer calls on "personal time" well I can understand not wanting the disruption, but if you are young and ambitious, don't forget such an attitude is a good way to let your career stagnate especially if you work in a competitive environment with lots of upward mobility. The opportunities will go to the people willing and able to put in something extra of themselves. The payoff won't be immediate but will accumulate as you build your reputation.

One huge reason my husband got fast tracked on all the big promotions ahead of a crapload of other people from a low paying tech support job and ended up at the executive level with the income to match, is that he was willing to answer the phone outside of work hours and I was supportive of any schedule disruptions and worked our family life around them as smoothly as possible instead of resenting it. I used to answer emergency calls myself and knew what it entailed.

I understand some companies can be abusive. You don't want to stick around a place like that anyway. But if you find a good employer and there are needs that crop up, you give yourself and your employer a competitive advantage if you're willing to be responsive and have a positive attitude. Good luck with your new job.

My husband tended to stick with options most like 3 so he could choose his own iPhones and manage his plan as he saw fit. He simply looks at caller ID to determine if a call is personal or business. After all these years most of his coworkers are like family anyway, even to me. In fact, a lot of people we have known over the years will tend to stay together and move to different companies together.
I get calls 24 hours a day and my philosophy is I would clean toilets if I had to. Companies want can do, not can't do And promote those who can do. And as you say, I Lead a blessed life. :) /ot

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Lol, true.

Unfortunately this is very much where Americs (and possibly other countries) had headed with work. I have no idea what job this specifically is the OP is starting, but this sort of thing used to be reserved for people who run companies, and now "everyone" is expected to be doing it.

It's great to be ambitious but it's a tragedy that so many folks are overworked and underpaid. There's something to be said for both parties who are able to respect personal time. Studies have shown that productivity actually does go way up when people are able to rest from work.

I'm at work about 70 hours a week and that's not counting any personal calls I get. My wife works 50 hours and probably has another ten she has to deal with at home. This is not what we had in mind lol.

I guess you could say we are both management, my wife more in the literal sense than I, but five years ago I was doing nothing more than receptionist work at an urgent care while in school and I still got work calls on a personal line that I was expected to answer. All the while this generation is supposedly the lazy entitled generation but are working more hours than ever (post labor laws). Go figure.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.