I'm totally screwed up!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PodHead, Oct 25, 2007.

1. PodHead macrumors member

PodHead

I have this ginormous LaCie drive that 1. Is USB 2.0 only. And 2. I didn't format it for Mac/XP cross platforming. I want to copy my info from the drive to my mac. I've been doing this by way of a thumbdrive which is painfully slow and inconvienent. How can I do this faster? I was gonna risk maybe a portable external but I don't want to make the same mistake twice. Any suggestions?

2. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

What FS is on your drive? If you can get the data from the drive onto your PC, then put it on the PC. Mac can read NTFS, so you can get the data off of your PC from your Mac. If you don't want to figure out how to do that, put it on your PC and burn it on some DVD's.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I'm sorry, I don't understand at all.

Right now, you can read/write on Windows but can't even read on Mac? That doesn't make any sense. The native file systems for Windows up to and including Vista are the FAT variants and NTFS. FAT is read/write on OS X and NTFS is read (not write) on OS X -- plus you can install MacFUSE or Paragon to write to NTFS.

So how is it that you cannot even read from the disk in OS X? What format is it in? EXT2FS? If it's in some Linux format like that, for which you installed drivers in Windows, those drivers should be available for OS X also.