I'm trying to connect time machine through a wireless router. PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ninjaelement, Apr 16, 2010.

1. ninjaelement macrumors newbie

Apr 16, 2010
    i apologize if this has been brought up somewhere else. I am new

I am the proud owner of a brand new MBP. Im still learning everything as i go but i simply CANNOT figure out my backup situation.

I purchased a Netgear rangemax dual range wireless router (WNDR3700) and a WD MyBook 1 TB external hard drive. i have been trying to hook this up to Time machine wirelessly but i just cant get it to work.

i have already tried hooking up the drive directly to my MBP and it works fine, but i want to do it through wireless router. has anyone experienced anything like this or has a way to help? i have searched the far corners of the net and found nothing :(

Thank you in advanced.
  2. nctalkinghead macrumors member

May 31, 2008
  3. macboy4 macrumors regular

Feb 17, 2009
  4. rerelease macrumors regular

Jun 8, 2009
    I've understood that a Time Capsule is not mandatory and it can be done with any router that has usb storage.
  5. macboy4 macrumors regular

Feb 17, 2009
  6. bcburrows macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2009
    My WD World book support wifi time capsule backup. I have the hard drive partitioned for a network hard drive for sharing of files and then 500Gb for time capsule. No hacks needed from me, but WD did have to release a firmware update for it to work.

However I think very few external hard drive can be used with the wifi time capsule function, so I suggest you try to find which ones do work