Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Okay, so i've heard that the lastest version of podzilla supports iPod Photo as well, and that it has video support. Is this true? And how do I find it? I've looked all over the podzilla website, but I cannot find a download for iPod Photo. I did get Linux on my ipod before, using terminal, but I don't want to have to do that again, and that was the older version anyway... so. I could use any help.

Thanks.

Afro1989

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2005
you-re-probably-a-linux-user.jpg

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
macgeek2005 said:
Okay, so i've heard that the lastest version of podzilla supports iPod Photo as well, and that it has video support. Is this true? And how do I find it? I've looked all over the podzilla website, but I cannot find a download for iPod Photo. I did get Linux on my ipod before, using terminal, but I don't want to have to do that again, and that was the older version anyway... so. I could use any help.

Thanks.

Well I don't know about video support on an iPod Photo, but it does say iPod Photo is now supported in the newest release. As you've experienced, you installed (and still can) iPod linux via terminal command line. Though there is also a nice installer app that you can use to really simplify the process.

An installation overview that tells you how to install via command line is here >> http://ipodlinux.org/Installation_from_Mac, which also links to the quick installer app method, and a few other various links to installers and updaters for various 5G iPods.

A direct link to the easiest, most supported installer app is here (version 0.4 alpha) > http://ipodlinuxinstl.sourceforge.net/download.php

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Thanks, that's the installer I was looking for. I was on that same page yesterday, and the newest installer was 0.3.... weird. Anyway, thanks!

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Alright, I can play the sample video that they have for my ipod, but I can't put any of my own videos on it. Is there ANY way I can convert a quicktime file into a file that will play on it? It seems like the sample video is just an AVI file, but when I convert a music video to an AVI file, it doesn't work.

It says sound is supported in version 0.4, but the sample video doesn't have sound.. so i'm also wondering about that.

I really wanna get this to work!!! Please help me! Thanks.

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
macgeek2005 said:
Alright, I can play the sample video that they have for my ipod, but I can't put any of my own videos on it. Is there ANY way I can convert a quicktime file into a file that will play on it? It seems like the sample video is just an AVI file, but when I convert a music video to an AVI file, it doesn't work.

It says sound is supported in version 0.4, but the sample video doesn't have sound.. so i'm also wondering about that.

I really wanna get this to work!!! Please help me! Thanks.

For more information including getting your own .avi's onto your iPod check this link out >>> http://ipodlinux.org/Video_Player

Basically your videos must be in uncompressed, 24-bit .avi files at the iPod's screen resolution and also must have correct sound encoding. At the above linked page, there is a link to an app that should? do the trick called 'mencoder'.

EDIT: On the downside I just read this about mencoder and iPod Photo-
Please note that the latest released version of the mencoder for Mac OS X (binary / Unix executable) has an RGB colour bug, which means that you will not be able to get the correct colour result on your iPod Photo.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Now, with the 5G iPod, do I have to convert all my video files to "iPod" (320x240) if I want to be able to play them on the iPod? Or will it just load all my iTunes videos on when I plug it in?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.