Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

becky280

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
I'm trying to do it with a USB drive. Well, I plug in the drive and nothing happens. Usually when I plug something in my Mac will recognize it and it will open up. So what do I do? The USB drive is by HP... and I used another drive by Ultra Speed and that one worked just fine (but I can't use it anymore because I broke it... I took it out too early and now it won't let me put any files on it?). Is there a button I can press that will tell my Mac to go look if there's something plugged into the USB? hahah I don't think I make any sense. Help!

becky280

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
but I've already tried those things! Like, the USB drive will flash green for a few seconds, then it dies.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
SMC reset for MacBook, MacBook Pro except MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009)

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.

2. Disconnect the AC adapter and remove the computer's battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.

4. Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.

5. Press the power button to restart the computer

from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

That helped me recognizing one of my drives again.

Btw, did you look into Disk Utility if the drive shows up there?

becky280

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
where is disk utility? and what do I do once I get there? Sorry guys, I just bought this thing yesterday. haha

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Disk Utility can be found under Applications > Utilities or use Spotlight (Cmd + Spacebar).

It's a software that shows all connected disks (if seen) and un/mounted volumes (sometimes partitions in Windows speak).

Maybe your drive shows up there, but is not mounted, which shows as greyed.

Here is an image, what Disk Utility looks like.

Disk_Utility_erase.jpg

becky280

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
ok, I opened it up and its there, but it shows up as grey. So what does that mean?

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
ok, I opened it up and its there, but it shows up as grey. So what does that mean?

Just like the previous poster mentioned - greyed out means the drive is not mounted. Usually I just restart my computer, and that fixes it - but you could try the SMC reset if restarting does not help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.