IM+ Update - now crashes every time

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by gowanis, Oct 19, 2008.

1. gowanis macrumors 6502

anyone else having trouble with IM+ after updating ?

2. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

i tried a re-install and it worked the first time, but then when i closed it and opened it again i had the same problem. just freezes and crashes after about 10 seconds.

3. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

bump.. has anyone upgraded successfully to the latest version? mine just loads a blank contact screen and abends after 10 seconds.

4. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

Same here,

snverhallen

5. Ashyukun macrumors 6502

I thought that was what was happening with mine- but after deleting and re-downloading it, it seems to be working. It ddid however start up not logged in and with a blank contact list, so I had to tap over to Status and tell it to connect (until I changed the setting to log on when it opens).

EDIT: OK, I spoke too soon... but I think I may have figured out the problem. It was working fine until I turned on 'Connect on Start' option- after that it started crashing after a minute of unresponsiveness. So, I'd say that there's something wrong with that option that is causing the app to crash, since after re-re-downloading it and not enabling 'Connect on Start' and telling it to go online manually, it seems to be behaving without any problems.

6. gowanis thread starter macrumors 6502

you are correct. the developer has since posted a note about this problem on the app page in iTunes.

amazing how regression testing is not done before a release

7. krosario macrumors newbie

Same issue here. The "connect on start up" problem solved it for a wile, but I'm still getting crashes... Do I need to keep re-installing or does restarting the phone sufficient

8. Ashyukun macrumors 6502

I think just restarting the phone should do it... I've had it working fairly solidly since this morning and disabling the connect on start.

However.... I have noticed something else- the auto-correct doesn't seem to be working in IM+. At all. I haven't used it in quite a while to remember whether it has always been that way, but its really hard to use without it...

9. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

1.3 was released today. It fixes this issue. Can't imagine why it only has 2.5 star rating in the app store. It's a great app.

10. Ashyukun macrumors 6502

I've not left any reviews for it... but I use it a good bit less than the 'official' AIM app because from my experience IM+ has always been far more prone to crashing.

11. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

As there is no free alternative that allows me use my existing MSN and Google accounts, I find this app to be the best choice in the app store for me.

12. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

Have you tried Palringo? It's free and it's a great app. It even keeps you connected for up to an hour if you close the app. Of course, that's an option that you can disable if you like. I think Palringo is great although I prefer beejive but that's an app you have to pay for.

13. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I have not tried Palringo. I really don't want another login. I see no reason why Palringo requires a login so that I can use other logins.
    Edit: they're also planning on adding push support to IM+. It will email you when someone attempts to chat. A workaround until Apple finally implements notifications.