I'm upgrading to Leopard, what should I be aware of?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Joeytpg, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

...I still have Tiger since I use a lot of recording/music production softwares, such as Logic, ProTools, etc etc. When Leopard came out I abstained myself from upgrading (BlackBook user here) because I a bunch of softwares had some problems with leopard. I guess all that must be solved now.

Besides that is there anything else I should be aware of?, should I make a backup of the most important things? Or is it a smooth upgrade?

thank you very much guys. :)

2. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

There is no such thing as a smooth upgrade, on no platform. However, Apple upgrades are -- usually -- as smooth as it gets. Nevertheless, I recommend a fresh installation of Leopard on a freshly formatted hard disk.

So what I would is this:
    - Backup all of your data
    - Make also sure that your mail folders are archived
    - De-activate any software that requires activation (like Photoshop or Flash).
    - Boot from the Leopard DVD
    - Format your hard disk
    - Install Leopard
    - Install ALL updates
    - Install your software
    - Install all updates for your application software
    - Retrieve the archived data

In my experience, that is the fastest and least painful approach to upgrading to Leopard. Seriously. Upgrading an existing Tiger installation leaves too much garbage and is in my experience not as stable as a clean installation. Other users will have different opinions and experiences, but based upon what I've seen, I strongly recommend a clean Leopard installation.

3. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

As smooth as any upgrade can be. Just backup all of your data prior to the install. On another note, you may find Leopard to be a little bit slower than Tiger. Much more of the spinning beach ball...

4. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

really? is it slower?

hmmmm then in that case I guess it's not worth the effort, I'm buying a new MacBook Pro in December probably so that one should come with Snow Leopard already, which will be waaay faster than any MacOS X version.

I'm keeping this blackbook anyways, as a "netbook" "fun" machine, so I just wanted it to be up to date, but in that case, I'll wait and upgrade once this machine is not the "main" computer.

thank you very much guys. :)

5. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Make absolutely sure that you get the latest updates to leopard. The original releasewas a bit buggy but that depends on where you get you leopard disc. You may wind up with a disc that already has many on the more recent updates.

I use leopard on a white MacBook without any problems. It doesn't seem to have slowed it down much if any.