I'm very disappointed with Apple service

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PaulFXH, Nov 15, 2007.

1. PaulFXH macrumors member

I bought my first MacBook (C2D, 2.16 GHz) in Ireland in August and moved back to Brazil in September.
    Although the MacBook worked perfectly for about 10 weeks, the 160GB hard drive failed on November 4 without warning.
    Of course, it was still well within its warranty period.
    So, I called the Apple Brazil head office in São Paulo and they directed me to a repair shop in the city where I live. I brought the computer there on November 5 where the guy confirmed that indeed the HD had failed and he would get one sent up from a depot in São Paulo as soon as possible. He said he expected to have the machine repaired by the end of that week (November 9).
    As it happens, we are now at November 15 and after 10 days there has been no communication from São Paulo whatsoever as to when the HD would be delivered.
    So, not only have I lost all my stuff from my hard drive (yes, I have the important stuff backed up) but I've been totally without a computer for nearly two weeks through no fault of my own.
    Not only that, but Apple are unable to even tell me when I'm going to get my machine back.
    Is this really the best I can expect from Apple? If so, I will need to think twice before buying any more of their products.

2. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

if you're outside of canada/usa your fate if often in the hands of your apple authorized reseller. i had to wait 2 weeks for a laptop adapter to arrive in store (in pakistan)

3. PaulFXH thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for this comment.
    However, in both Ireland and Brazil, I was NOT dealing with an "authorized reseller", but with Apple itself. At least they certainly refer to themselves as Apple.
    Given that this is moving so slowly here in Brazil and I'm really going out of my mind here, is there no other Apple department (in USA) to whom I can voice my concern about this incompetence down here?

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Yes you are dealing with authorized resellers. The support number is probably Apple but the repair place and parts center are NOT Apple.

Try emailing sjobs@apple.com

5. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Apple Direct?

The previous poster are correct. Your not dealing directly with Apple. This is also the case in Ecuador. There are Apple )reseller) stores and authorized repair centers. But your not dealing with Apple. You can not blame Apple.

Have you called your repair shop since you left it there? Doesn't sound like you have...

6. PaulFXH thread starter macrumors member

Yes, the REPAIR place is NOT Apple. BUT, they were recommended to me BY Apple. My warranty is with APPLE (and not the third party repair place).
    Therefore my gripe is 100% with Apple and nobody else.

In reference to a later post, YES, I have called the repair place at least 4 times since I left the machine there 10 days ago. Quite honestly, I would have learnt as much, if not more, talking to my dog instead.
    And, YES, I have called the Apple head office in São Paulo (two days ago) who said they would investigate the problem and let me know within 48 hours. However, as today is a holiday here in Brazil, today doesn't count. So, maybe they're gonna let me know tomorrow. However, that will make it 10 working days that the machine has been in the shop and as of right now there is no word whatsoever about the availability of a replacement 160 GB HD.
    If there was a world war on, perhaps I could understand this. But, by anybody's standards this has to be seen as an extremely shoddy and unprofessional performance on the part of Apple.

7. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

This may be one of those times to send a nice ol' email to sjobs@apple.com

8. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

While you may have a point that Apple is at fault for recommending you to the 3rd party place, i don't think you can fully blame them.

You only notified Apple that there was a problem with the service center two days ago (and apparently today is a holiday). If they don't get back to you tomorrow then there might be a problem, but until then, its pretty much your fault for waiting so long to move up the food chain.

I agree that Apple should be responsible and accountable for the actions of their authorized resellers and service centers. However, you can't expect them to fix the problem if they're not aware of it.

9. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Hopefully your issue gets resolved quickly. Good luck.

10. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

have you called them? or gone back to the store? i would go back and ask what the status is.

11. PaulFXH thread starter macrumors member

OK, that's a good point. However, I only realized that the repair shop were not quite on the ball after they had had my MacBook for a week and started muttering things about the parts supplier being disorganized ("bagunçada" in portuguese). I contacted Apple the very next day.

A number of people have suggested I email sjobs@apple.com
    Is this a joke or for real? If it is real, I certainly will email Mr Jobs immediately.

12. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

its for real.

13. PaulFXH thread starter macrumors member

OK, thanks.
    I've just sent my first email ever to a multi-billionaire and looking forward to an immediate response as I'm sure he has very little to do being so rich.

14. PaulFXH thread starter macrumors member

Well, I finally found out from Apple-Brazil what the problem was. Apparently, there's a kind of a strike in the part of the customs service down here in Brazil that deals with the importation of electronic equipment. According to Apple this is likely to go on for at least a month.
    So, now I have two problems: not only am I unlikely to see my computer before the end of the year but I can't blame Apple any more.:(
    Just have to grin and bear it.:)