Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knuckels17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Hey im new to the forums but i had a question and thought you guys could help! my MSN i downloaded for my mac does not have the option for a cam/mic but i have both built into my computer my friend who is on a PC has the option on her MSN is there a newer/older version i can download to get it or do you guys suggest a different IM thats compatible with a mac?

Thanks!

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
If you search bittorrent sites, you'll be able to find the beta version of Mac Messenger 8, which has audio calls and video calls. It's been perfectly stable for me.

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
Hey im new to the forums but i had a question and thought you guys could help! my MSN i downloaded for my mac does not have the option for a cam/mic but i have both built into my computer my friend who is on a PC has the option on her MSN is there a newer/older version i can download to get it or do you guys suggest a different IM thats compatible with a mac?

Right now, Messenger:Mac doesn't support video chat for personal users. (We do for corporate environments that use Office Communicator Server 2007.) We'll officially release a beta later this year that does support it. When we're closer to that beta release, you'll find all of the details at our official team blog, Mac Mojo. Right now, I don't have an exact date to share for when that beta will be available.

Regards,
Nadyne.

BBCuk

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
i have google talk working on ichat! works great except for a dodgy video quality. i have given up on msn :rolleyes:

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Right now, Messenger:Mac doesn't support video chat for personal users. (We do for corporate environments that use Office Communicator Server 2007.) We'll officially release a beta later this year that does support it. When we're closer to that beta release, you'll find all of the details at our official team blog, Mac Mojo. Right now, I don't have an exact date to share for when that beta will be available.

Regards,
Nadyne.

Is there anyway to link Messenger:Mac into a corporate domain that lets us talk with Communicator users? Any chance of getting 'real' communicator on Macs?

dman09900

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
I just downloaded Mercury Messenger, but I don't see how to do an audio only chat. Do you have to initiate a video chat and then somehow select only audio?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.