iMac 09 Worth Spending on?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Robster3, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I have a late 09 27" iMac which has just had the HD replaced and has 16GB ram and is working good. I want Windows and Parallels for my business and not sure if it is worth spending the $300 on it or get a new one and pass this one onto my son. Surely i would get a few more years out of it?

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Seems like this is kind of up to you fella. If you have the money why not upgrade?

If not and it's doing everything you need it to do, then keep it!

Depending on what you do, it should last at least another few years with a ram upgrade!

3. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, yeah it does do all i want and for the money you should get 5 years , if i do put windows and parallels on it are they transferable if i did get a new one later?

The only thing i don't like about it is hot.

Sorry wrong section for this.

4. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Hot is right. I have an i7. Recent new drive and LCD compliments of Apple made me rethink. I'm adding an SSD in hopes of pushing the life down the road another year. Don't know if it will help the heat issue, but it's still a good machine with a respectable benchmark compared to the 2012 I installed for a client. I'll admit, I'd love to have USB3. Dressing up a new one gets into a 3000.00 range, so I'm being frugal with a 223.00 upgrade and waiting to see what happens with the next gen.

Good luck with yours

5. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I have the same machine and still consider it a screamer. Just got a 16GB (1333Mhz) RAM upgrade for it from Best Buy for $90. I anticipate another 2-3 years out of it, easily.

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

From a practical point of view, yes. The licenses are another issue. If I remember correctly the Parallels license just states it can be installed on a single machine (at one time). The Windows license is a bit hazier -- it would be "yes" for the full version but "no" for the OEM version which isn't supposed to be used in the first place in virtual machines.

7. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Cant stand the heat anymore buying a new one. Tossing up between a base 3.2Ghz model which i can get for 10% off locally at a retailer, or the top i7 model with the works from local reseller who also does repairs where i got my current. So the difference is $1273.
    My main uses are iPhoto, iMovie for iPhone/camera video, ms office, web, email, tv, may put windows on it.
    I wouldn't mind the fusion and would hopefully get a few more years from this one but not sure if its worth the extra now.

How would a late 09 3.0gh core duo with 16gb ram compare to a new 3.2 ghz with 16gb ram?

Also if i put my mac on sleep most of the time would fusion benefit me.

Cheers

8. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Is C2D quad?If not,the performance increase will be huge. If it is,then you will still be able to see a difference with your relatively heavy uses. Fusion benefits you if you like space,but need speed for a few files and movies and things that you use a lot. It will benefit you in sleep no more than having 100 GB RAM sleeping-- you need to use it to see the difference.

Also, go base model since the i7 is for really power users--you are not as much. Save some money too. And if you cn afford fusion, definitely go for it since it combines speed with space.

9. Robster3, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

It is the 3.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB
    How would they compare.

I can get 5% off with Apple online but it would be $400 more for the fusion comparing the 2 discounts.

10. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

Sure it'll be faster but you really want to drop $$$$ on new machine that you use for surfing the web, emails and occasional photo management?

Typical forum advice to replace your perfectly working machine with new one, this amazes me. Each to his own what he/she does with hard earned cash but this behavior is just pure consumerism.

I have 2009 Macbook Pro that I bought second hand, I do live AV sets with it (video mixing in real time) and sometimes even edit HD videos on it for christ sake. I put 8 gigs of RAM in there and it runs Mountain Lion just fine, I have Adobe CS5 on it that works OK.

Your iMac is beautiful, 27 inch machine that will easily run for another few years. Sure, maybe you won't be/shouldn't be upgrading to the latest OS when it comes out but you can still use it as you're using it now (hello 10.6 users).

Your computation needs could be met with a very cheap and old PC for that fact, you don't need core i7 and great graphics card. If you want to make your iMac feel younger and snappier, replace the hard drive with SSD, it will feel like a brand new computer after the upgrade.

Some of the forum members are just ridiculous with their advice.

11. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

I agree with you there is nothing wrong with it, has new HD now 16gb ram and it is fast and dead quiet. My main problem is the HEAT, i have a small office and it is a heater even with air con on. Like today was 26c in the house and 30c in my office, you can feel it radiate off it. I know i have put up with it for 3 years. I have to keep putting it to sleep to cool it down.
    If i lived in the snow would be great lol.

12. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I haven't seen the specs but I would expect that the new iMacs are just as hot as the '09's. Luckily an idling processor isn't bad. However, the display is a major contributor to heat -- make sure yours sleeps when not active.

13. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

I dont own iMac myself but I know that its normal for iMacs to be pretty hot. Unless the heat from the computer bothers you (not just the fact that its hot) I wouldbt worry about it much, it is normal design.

14. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Dont think so from seeing ones in a shop that have been running for hours, and reading owners pets on here.
    Its taken me 3 years to figure out putting on sleep cools it down:cool: Its when you get a run of 30 plus celcius days is when it is a pain.

I dont know maybe i might get a mbp or wait and see what the new mbpr are like.

----------

We have 2 09 imacs a 21 and 27, the 21 gets hot but is in a big room so is ok, but the 27 is in my office and works as a heater.

15. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I just looked it up. The new 27" consumes about 80 watts at idle with the display on and 20 watts with it off. It's under 2 watts when sleeping. The 2009 27" was 145 watts at idle with the display on. I couldn't find other values.

16. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

thats shame. I still think it's not a good reason to replace machine like this, I'd probably just put a fan next to iMac or sth :)

17. WilliamG macrumors G3

It's normal for pre-2012s. The 2012 idles extremely cool, whereas my 09 27" was a toaster. My 2012 i7 I can't even tell is on when it's idling/screen off when I touch the casing.

18. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I'm running my 27" iMac I7 with the LCD and front glass removed and its always cool and quiet. I wonder if just taking the front glass off would help with overheating.