iMac 10.1 + SSD = white screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mish3lSs, Oct 17, 2012.

1. mish3lSs macrumors newbie

I just received my Vertex4 256G yesterday and installed it into the main HD bay in iMac 10.1 core 2 duo 27 inch mac. I thought it was as simple as
    1- Install in iMac 2- Boot from USB

It appears that's its not as easy as i could not pass the white screen to booting option after the chime.

Tried everything from resetting NVRAM and PRAM, SMC reset even Verbose and single user modes wont work.

So after i got sick of it i installed it in a MacBook Pro 8.1 and it worked like a charm, first thing i ran the mac tool box and did

1- Firmware update. The SSD was shipped with 1.5 but i re-updated it anyways.
    2- Secure erase.

After that re-installed in the iMac and still the same issue. I thought that installing OSX on the SSD while it's installed in the MBP
    would be a good idea. done that installed Mountain Lion and re-installed the SSD in my iMac, still the same white screen !

* EFI and SMC are up to date.
    * Tried Usb keyboard, same issue.
    * Original 1TB Seagate still working.

I was wondering if the issue is caused by the cable since it's Sata2 and the SSD is Sata3... ?

any suggestion ?

Thanks in advance

2. Yamcha macrumors 68000

There is no difference between SATA II and III cables, so I doubt it's that..

There seems to compatibility issues with older iMacs when It comes to Sandforce based SSD's, and probably even with the Indilinx drive you have.. And since It's working on your Macbook Pro It's most like compatibility..

What I would do is return the drive and buy a Crucial M4 or Plextor M5, try and avoid Sandforce based SSD's.. Some have better firmware and might work, but you'll have to do constant testing.. Marvell based drives are known to work better with early models of Macs..

3. mish3lSs thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that's what am actually gonna do unless someone comes up with an idea.

Already contacted the OCZ support i'll see how that goes or am going to replace it with the Crucial M4.

Thanks

4. paul-n macrumors regular

Vertex 4 drives are based on Marvell, but nevertheless I already did a change of SSD in a 2011 iMac, which worked fine, we only had to install a software later to get the fans quiet again. I can recommend Samsung SSDs like the 830 or 840 Pro, they are fast and reliable and maybe more compatible.

5. mish3lSs thread starter macrumors newbie