iMac 10.2.8 using hp printer 6110 color resolution too dark

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nellie, Jul 29, 2008.

1. nellie macrumors newbie

I have 10.2.8 and an HP 6110 all-in-one printer. When I make color COPIES, the color resolution is fine. But when I print from the monitor screen, the colors are muted, dull, not what is on the screen - although they look ok when PREVIEWED. The printer's test report has full color resolution. There is something wrong with the software, but I don't know if it is mac or hp software. Even if I go into print options and change the color saturation or brightness, I can move the arrows, but it doesn't take - the color printouts are still muted. I gave up printing photos a long time ago. I need accurate print color resolution as I am comparing pictures of paint samples on buildings for my condo association. HELP!

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Try the ColorSync Utility (/Applications/Utilities/ColorSync Utility and run a repair.

3. nellie thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. I went to Applications and then colorsync and clicked repair. The message that came up was:
    Searching for profiles
    Checking 9 profiles
    Repairs done - no problems found

It suggested I go to www.apple.com/colorsync, but when I put that in the browser, I get www.com/macosx/features/300.html#imaging (which is Leopard advertising.) It won't let me just put in www.apple.com/colorsync.

Therefore, I still have the color resolution problem. Any other ideas, please?

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

You may want to try installing the latest HP software for 10.2.8

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=219&dlc=en&product=79477

Another thing you can try is instead of printing the document, save it as a PDF file. You do this through the Print Dialog box. Then open the PDF file and examine it. If it looks good, try to print it and see if there is a difference.

The last suggestion I have is to use the built-in print drivers from MacOS or download the Guttenprint drivers for your printer.

5. nellie thread starter macrumors newbie

I saved it to a PDF, but that did not help. I downloaded the HP software, but that did not help. I do not know how to do your last two suggestions. While I was at the HP site to download, I went to their email contact us site, and submitted my problem as I have presented it here. Like I said, I don't know if it is a mac or an hp problem. I will let you know what they reply, and I appreciate any more suggestions you may have.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Color accuracy is hard to do correctly. But the very first step always is to insure that your monitor is calibrated. If your system is old enough to be running 10.2 and you have never calibrated the monitor then it a likely not even close to "correct". Then after that you can profile your printer. You will need to use a hardware colorimeter like the Spyder or Eye One or even the Huey.

7. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

You've set yourself almost an impossible job even with near perfect calibrations. Wouldn't it be simpler to get the physical paint swatches and distribute those for comparison?