iMac 10.4.6 dual boot

Discussion in 'iMac' started by unholyacid, Dec 19, 2011.

1. unholyacid macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I got a second hand iMac today. It runs on 10.4.6. I also have the CD for Windows XP. I now want to make a dual boot on the iMac so i have the choice for Windows XP when i wan't to play games and lounge around, and then go on the Mac side for work and what not. I've looked at many things that say i need "Boot Camp". I can't find boot camp anywhere, i assume this is because there is no boot camp on 10.4.6. I'm not planing on upgrading. So how do i make a dual boot without upgrading to 10.6.0 or what ever the current version is. Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

Intel Macs coming with 10.4 had Boot Camp Assistant too. Just look into Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities for a software called "Boot Camp Assistant". But Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard only costs 29 USD, thus it would be a good upgrade.

But before you do all this, do the following and identify your Mac and report back your findings.

3. unholyacid thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks for the reply, my findings were that i had version 10.4.6
    And that my model was "iMac,4.1"

I still can't find the Boot Camp assistant. When i look for it manually i can't find it, and then when i look for it with the searcher, it still won't appear. For the time being, i still won't upgrade.

4. simsaladimbamba

Then use the grey Restore DVD to make an Erase & Install, thus all previously deleted applications coming with Mac OS X will be reinstalled.
    Or you could use Pacifist to get Boot Camp Assistant from the Restore DVD.

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Bootcamp was only available in beta form for Tiger as a download, it was never included on the disk. I'm sure you'll be able to find the assistant installer somewhere, although Assistant is only used to partition the drive, you can do that yourself in Disk Utility (ideally when booting from your 10.4 disk).

I have no idea about installing the drivers when you get windows installed though. I'm guessing that drivers would come bundled with the assistant (on Leo/SL they are on the disk).

Btw, you might want to upgrade to 10.4.11 ;)