iMac 10.5.7 - Frozen on Restart - Forced Shut Down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John Doe 57, May 13, 2009.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I downloaded Mac OS X 10.5.7 from the Apple website rather than using Software Update only to save time. I used Software Update to get 10.5.7 on my MacBook Pro and it took 35 minutes to download the package. Using the Apple website for my iMac, the download took about 15 minutes.

I then began the installation of 10.5.7 on the iMac. Everything went fine until it was time to restart. The computer froze on restart. I had to hold down the power button to turn off the iMac. Then I started it up and it began to load for quite a while (normal after an update). Then I logged in and went to "About This Mac" and it read that I had Mac OS X 10.5.7.

Obviously, this is an unorthodox way of updating. But am I safe with this method? Was it just a minor glitch?

2. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

my iMac did the exact same thing except when it rebooted it loaded for a while then rebooted again then booted all the way as it should and then when i tried to load any applications they would just crash. i just re-ran the installation and now everything is fine so just do that if anything starts messing up! :)

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

This is why you always need to make a backup when updating any system, just in case!

So, it downloaded the update, then you restarted it, and it went through the installation, and you saw the progress bar and everything while it installed, then it restarted and froze?

For me, a glitch like that would be cause for me to do a fresh install, but otherwise would start performing an fsck, permission repair, and cache clean from Leopard Cache Cleaner or Onyx at the very least.

If it's working, and you're not crazy like me, I would perform some maintenance and perform a backup, just in case, but wouldn't think too much of it after that.

4. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Both my iMac and MacBook Pro restarted twice. I found it odd the first time, but when the iMac did it, I thought it was normal. Strange.

5. madog macrumors 65816

madog

That's actually perfectly normal for an update from Apple. I just wish they advertised that fact a bit more as people can get scared and shut down their computer in mid-restart, or shut it down because the update-restart can take twice as long as normal; which completely screws up the update and typically requires a reinstall of the OS.