iMac 10.5 Stuck on FileVault Decrypt

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rmlloyd, Feb 2, 2008.

1. rmlloyd macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have elected to turn FileVault off....

After much messing about and deleting old files to make the space for me to turn it off it began.

It has been running all night, this morning I wake to find it stuck on a screen that says

"Decrypting Name's Home Folder
    Time remaining: About 47 minutes"

now I think it has crashed because: -

- The blue progress bar is no longer animated
    - The time is going down
    - There is a pin wheel (not beach ball) spinning around just infront of the FileVault Dialogue

Has anyone experienced this before? Should I just powerdown and start again?

I am guessing the sleep/harddrive power options might have affected this, but really, the programmers should have thought to turn those off during a long operation such as this.

Thanks alot for your help.

Ryan

2. rhyndu macrumors regular

Sorry?

Just do a forced restart, things should be fine.

3. rmlloyd thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, I did a forced restart and things look ok now, thanks for the advice.

Pinwheel is the apple progress bar, such that you see when you first turn the machine on, under the apple logo you normally see the pinwheel.

Beach ball of death is normally a bad sign, thats why I thought perhaps there was still some processing going on what with the pinwheel.

Anyhow, what is the pinwheel normally called?

4. rhyndu macrumors regular

Glad everything worked.

So, about the beachball thing:

The beachball is not a bad sign, it just means that your machine is working hard an is to let you know that OSX is busy.

The "pinwheel" that you talk about isn't that bad of a sign. I call it an octopus (don't ask :p) but yah, it is basically like the windows "welcome" and "goodbye" screens