iMac 10.6.8-Moving to Africa

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cheetah NGO, Jul 22, 2019.

  1. Cheetah NGO macrumors newbie

    Cheetah NGO

    Jul 21, 2019
    Hi Everyone,

    I've started a 501c3 non-profit for cheetah conservation in Africa (absolutely do not support for captive breeding and no I'm not promoting it on this post). We're leaving for Tanzania at end of August. Our office will be set-up with a WiFi tower when we get there. I have to get up and running as soon as possible. Our website should be launched within a month of arriving. I need to decide on the best way to set myself up over there with a Mac. My background: over 25 years as a SF based graphic designer, web designer and marketing consultant (fortune 500's, Yahoo!, Paramount, yada, yada), and wildlife photography (Outside mag, Animal Kingdom, L.A. Times, USA Today, yada, yada).

    After a 4-year, full-time study on the cheetah (only 7,100 left in the wild), I'm now turning all my expertise to saving the cheetah.

    I've always used the latest (pro) Macs with Adobe graphics, but I've been using my 27" iMac Pro since 2011 (10.6.8, I know... but I've had no income for 4 years - my husband was my first sponsor :)). I have CS 5.5 installed (unfortunately lost my discs) which is my highest priority and I also need LightRoom (at the end of this post, I give you the specs on my iMac Pro). Here are my needs, choices and issues and I would really appreciate your recommendations:

    Needs: I need to have full graphics capability in Tanzania. Heavy website updating, CreativeSuite (heavy use of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), Microsoft Word/Excel. I also need to upload/edit RAW photo files from my Nikon D850. With my current kit, I believe I can't get LightRoom for 10.6.8 (like everyone, I'm trying to avoid subscriptions). I'd need to download LR to my AirMac (but the screen is so small for editing). As you can imagine, as an NGO, I need to keep the price down. I could wait a couple of years until our NGO has more presence, and maybe Apple and Adobe would give me a deal (as a non-profit), but this is highly unlikely (but maybe someone has an idea on this). So I'm looking at two options:

    Option 1.) Upgrade my iMac, ship to (northern town of Tanzania, let's call it NTZ.) or take it on the flight as cargo (still need to confirm-but could only be $200.00). Shipping via DHL (recommended) is $1,000 but is concerning: How long will it take? Will it even get there? Will the computer even survive the journey? Possible likely duty/tax charges on arrival (but we're registering as a Tanzanian NGO, so I may not have to pay taxes). I still have original box, but would need to rebox that box. I'm using Microsoft Office 2011 (so no costs there). I could upgrade to 10.3.6 (High Sierra) which allows me to still use CS 5.5 (don't see the need to go Mojave). Maybe I should invest in CCS Master Suite 6 ($1,000.00) on eBay if I can get a legitimate copy, but I need the latest LightRoom to read my Nikon D850. (opinions on this?)

    $1,000.00 (Shipping)
    $1,000.00 (CS6)
    (Surge protector)

    - Editing my photos on my AirMac
    - Buying CS6 may be a problem (eBay)
    - Couldn't subscribe to CS Master (old graphics card)
    - Hate to upgrade my Mac. (Just bad experiences in the past)
    - Go to all this trouble, and my Mac doesn't even make it in one piece in NTZ

    - Just use a TZ 3-prong adapter, buy surge protector.
    - Don't need to buy Microsoft Word/Excel
    - Cheaper - Don't need to buy the kit below:

    Option 2.) Buy an iMac 27 i5 3.86GHz/8GB/2TB at the iStore in Dar es Salaam (10 hour drive): . This is advertised on their website, but this is Africa. They may actually have to order it which could take months (currently investigating this with a recommended IT guy in NTZ). The cost for this baby is $3,269.00. If I go this route, I either have to buy CS6 or go with a subscription of the latest CS (which I don't want to do). I can bring my backup hddrive to download all existing art files on new Mac (that I have produced over the last four years). I also have backup on 1&1.

    $3,269.00 (iMac)
    $1,000.00 (CCS6 if I can get it before I leave)
    $249.99 (Home/Office Microsoft Word/Excel - can buy outright)

    or go with subscription of the latest CS:
    - $599.88/year ($52.99/month, plus applicable taxes/VAT/GST). They're doing a deal right now but it won't last.

    - Not sure if iStore will even tell me they have it in stock (order, then it could takes months).
    - Expensive.

    - Don't have to ship my old Mac (that would be nice)
    - Native plug
    - Can use the latest software (also very nice)
    - Can edit photos on big screen

    Thank you so much for any feedback or suggestions you may have.

    My iMac Pro Specs:
    iMax OSX: Version 10.6.8
    Processor: 2.93 GHz Intel core i7
    Memory: 9BG 1333 MHz DDR3
    TM and Copyright 1982-2011

    Hardware Overview:
    Model Identifier: iMac11,3
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
    Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.59f2
    Hardware UUID: 5D5B8255-A8FD-553B-8186-C6462AF8B40E

    Space: 1TB
    Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 2.4.5f3
    Built in SD Card Reader: (but doesn't read an XQD card)
    No Thunderbolt

    Vendor ID: 0x05ac
    Product ID: 0x8403
    Revision: 1.00
    Memory Slots:
    ECC: Disabled
    BANK 0/DIMM0 (X 4 - Using all 4 Slots):
    Size: 2 GB
    Type: DDR3
    Speed: 1333 MHz
    Status: OK
    Manufacturer: 0x02FE
    Part Number: 0x45424A3231554538424655302D444A2D4620
    ATI Radeon HD 5750:
    Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5750
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x68a1
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-B9710C-238
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.417
    Resolution: 2560 x 1440
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Built-In: Yes
    Connection Type: DisplayPort
  2. SecuritySteve, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2019

    SecuritySteve macrumors 6502a


    Jul 6, 2017
    If you're doing graphics design, I would think that you could benefit from a 5k monitor. Buying a new iMac once you get to your destination, while expensive, might benefit your work. After all, we all love to see those cheetah photos in high resolution detail. :D
  3. Cheetah NGO thread starter macrumors newbie

    Cheetah NGO

    Jul 21, 2019
    Good point on the 'Pro' or not 'Pro'! Sorry. I'm a newbie here and working on how to change the title (edit post won't let me edit title). My 'freaked out brain because I'm moving to Africa without a computer!' has taken over. Details are escaping me... Thanks!
    --- Post Merged, Jul 23, 2019 ---
    Thanks SecuritySteve. Someone mentioned just using a laptop (I have an AirMac). After a 27" monitor, this screen is impossible for graphics (doing a lot of illustrator infographics). Unfortunately, the iStore in Dar es Salaam has not returned my emails! So now I'm thinking of going straight to Apple and asking them if they would ship it for me. (But probably not). Need to contact KLM/Delta to see if they will let me cargo a computer... will let everyone know what they say.

    Thank you so much for your support. I'm really freaking out over here...
  4. CoastalOR macrumors 68020


    Jan 19, 2015
    Oregon, USA
  5. Cheetah NGO thread starter macrumors newbie

    Cheetah NGO

    Jul 21, 2019
    UPDATE! I did buy a CS6 Master (discs), so I don't have to pay the subscription for CS Cloud. That's one first step taken. I can use that on the computer I buy there or ship there (or cargo on the plane). I still haven't heard from the iStore in Dar es Salaam. Shipping just freaks me out... buy a new computer over here and then ship it to Tanzania? What a nightmare idea...

Share This Page

4 July 22, 2019