imac 10.6.8 won't boot without safe mode

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nothapy, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Nothapy, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

Nothapy macrumors newbie

When I boot it after shutting it down, the wheel keeps spinning and the computer doesn't make any noise. Then instead of the apple logo I get a circle with a line through it.

After that, if i boot into safe mode then boot normally it works...until i shut the computer down again.

Thanks!

NOTE- Its only after I don't use the computer for awhile that it doesn't boot up. Then I have to boot in safe mode for it to work again.

NOTE 2: I remember what i did before i had this problem. I deleted the launchAgents and LaunchDaemons folders for some stupid reason..

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

3. dknightd macrumors 6502

What did you do since you last successfully rebooted your Mac without using safe mode?

4. Nothapy, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

Nothapy thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Nothapy thread starter macrumors newbie

No hardware problems! thank god!

6. dknightd macrumors 6502

That probably explains it. The contents of those folders tells the system what services to launch at startup. I assume you do not have a backup of the folders and the contents. You might get the system to boot "normally" if you just make empty folders (but some services obviously will not get started. . .).
    The startup process probably looks for the contents of those folders, if it can't find the folders it apparently hangs. You'll probably have to reinstall your OS to get it working properly again.

7. Nothapy thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I found the 2 folders in the extensions library or something I dont remember and copied them into my system library. Seems to be working now but Im not convinced yet.

Also, there were some empty versions of the folders in my systems library but they didn't seem to do the trick.