iMac 12,2 i7 27" adn the 32gb RAM question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by RebelScum, Jun 13, 2012.

1. RebelScum macrumors 6502

Hey all

I just picked up a new quad-core i7 (after WWDC, I figured I may as well pull the trigger). I read that the system will support 32gb of RAM, so I went out and bought some 3rd party S0Dimms. Here's what I purchased:

Mushkin PC3-10600 DDR3 8gb.

The ram is Apple certified. I bought 2 of those (for now) but when I installed them and fired up the machine, it wouldn't boot and just kept beeping 3 times loudly. I checked and the sticks were seated fine.

Any thoughts on why this isn't working?

Thanks all.

2. foo2 macrumors newbie

1333 mhz RAM SODIMM should be all that you need. When you put the original RAM back in I assume everything works fine; if so, the RAM is simply bad; replace and retry.

3. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

If I'm not mistaken, the iMac's currently support only up 1333MHz not 1600MHz and there would lie your problem.

4. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

alkison is mistaken :) the ram specifications seems fine. But, there´s no support for 32gb of ram, were did you hear this ? Also there´s no support for 8gb per slot.

You should always check apples support sites before you do these things, as the info is very easy to find. just search for imac 2011 ram, and there you have it. Max 16gb of 4gb ram per slot.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4621

5. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

OWC says the iMac can unofficially support 32GB.

I had the problem described by the OP at one point. One of my RAM slots wasn't accepting anything but the factory RAM. I ended up with 14GB instead of 16.

6. RebelScum thread starter macrumors 6502

As I mentioned originally, I realize Apple only officially supports 16gb, but after a little digging it turns out Sandy Bridge chips will support 32. The machine will support that much memory, but Apple doesn't. Not officially, anyway.

Foo2, you are correct, the old RAM worked just fine. When I went back to the store, they were sold out of 8gb sticks, so I just bought 4 4gb sticks and they're working fine. After a little more digging it has become apparent to me that I am never going to be able to take advantage of 32gb anyway, unless I install my iMac in the space shuttle or something.

For those interested, I'm using G.Skill for Mac brand memory. The box actually says the model and year of Mac it's designed for. It's low-latency and Apple certified...definitely not Value Ram. I feel like I can trust it. They generally get good reviews, too.

For anyone in Toronto (or wants to avoid ordering from OWC), Canada Computers sells 2x4gb kits for $49. So I got 16gb for about a hundred bucks, in store. They're kind of d!¢ks but the prices are amazing.

Thanks very much for your help everyone

r