iMac 17" c2d doesn't start after replacing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ja1012, Jan 10, 2012.

1. ja1012 macrumors newbie

Hello I need Your help.
    I replaced LVDS cable on my imac 17" c2d for LVDS cable from iMac G5 and my computer doesnt start so I backed to first and no changes! All fan's got high speed. SMC reset doesnt help too. Is it possible that I destroy something on logic board because of installation of wrong cable? Inpossible...

EDIT: I can see lighting front LED

Could You help me?

ja1012

2. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Did you verify that it was okay to use the LVDS cable from the G5 iMac? You can check ifixit.com for each part, that might give you a clue as to if it is the same exact cable. Any part numbers on the cable itself?

What was the original problem with your iMac?

3. ja1012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,
    thx for answer. I didn't check - it was fluke, it's not possible that video cable burned anything on logic board. My original problem was broken screen with a lot of vertical stripes, so I tried to change cable. Also i had problem with HDD Fan, which worked on high speed all the time. Original topic posted here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1302744&highlight=fan+speed

Anyway, mac worked quite good before I swap cables ;/

Ofcourse, I backed to old one right now.

Arek

4. wolf86 macrumors newbie

Hi ja1012,

The problem with the vertical stripes was a failure of the LCD panels rather than the cable, it was VERY common in the 17" C2D. Also unfortunately due to the pin configuration on the LVDS cable it is quite likely the GPU on the logic board is shorted out.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

wolf86

5. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

Your HD temp sensor is the problem, not the fan. The fan can't spin that fast unless the computer tells it to. The fact that the HD temp sensor reads -128º might be a clue!!

Make sure it's plugged in first, then replace the actual sensor if that doesn't fix it.

6. ja1012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm, I am not sure is it possible to do short out by LVDS cable, but everything lokks like... I'm not sure what should I do to check it. Do you have any advices?

It's not a problem. There's written that I have iMac 17" 2006 CD - it means that HDD hasn't temp sensor in this model.

Arek

7. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

Are you sure it just isn't missing the sensor? I've got a 2006 20" CoreDuo iMac and without the sensor plugged in the fan goes 100%.

Was the 17" model the only one to not have this sensor?

8. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

OFC the sensor is missing/disconnected/dud. Every iMac starting from original G5 had one. In this case sensor board is glued to bottom of the HDD: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/manual.php?id=110
    Another thing is that you most probably did burn GPU or LCD due to pinouts incompatibility, as wolf86 said.

9. ja1012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dear friends,
    thx a lot of answering me back. But I'm 1000% sure. IMAC 17 was relesed in 3 versions, Early, Mid/Late CD, and Late. My verson, Mid/Late hasn't got sensor on HDD.

Please look at this pic from Apple Service Manual for Late 2006 CD version
    There is little inconsistency resulting from edditng older Service Manual (it's my opinion) because You can see Sensor on the last photo, but "step by step" instruction doesn't tell anything about it contrary to Early and Late papers.

[​IMG]

Also my logic board looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Both pic from Apple Service Manual [Mid 2006/ Late 2006 CD]

I dont have HDD temp slot on my board. I just have clean cold solder on the theoretical slot place. 100% factory, no amatours or smth.

I scared that I really burned GPU. Anyway, something was wrong with GPU before i think.

What do u think about sensor issue? :)

Cheers,
    Arco

10. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

11. ja1012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeach, this is my situation. What does it is?

12. judobrett macrumors newbie

fyi

i had the same problem and my 17" c2d imac is in having its lcd replaced right now by apple. they replaced a bunch of these lcd's last year(early 2011).

i called and was persistent. they are replacing my screen.

if only that was going to solve the crappy gpu heating issue on my imac. grrrrr

the internal apple articlethat talks about this problem and the replacement program is EM80

quote it. tell them you want to speak to a senior member. the front line guys CANT do anything.

good luck.

i just called 3 days ago.

13. judobrett macrumors newbie

ja1012- sorry, i cant PM yet.

i was referring to the vertical line issue that caused you to replace your screen.