iMac 17'' C2D Problem - Looking for help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cheebster, Jul 19, 2013.

1. cheebster, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

cheebster macrumors member

Hello ! I have this core2duo 17'' late 2006 imac here that i need to re-install.

It does not have the original LCD screen, so i'm using an external screen on it. I took a fresh hard drive, connected it to another iMAC and installed Lion 10.7.4 on it, since it's the latest os that runs on this thing. All went fine, drive was connected with USB 2.0 and installed OK. I setuped auto login, and enabled screen mirroring in display preferences.

Now when i connect this drive to the headless iMac, what i get is the apple logo with the spinning wheel, then it goes to white screen with a black cursor, nothing else. I've tried using command + f1 or f7 as suggested to toggle mirroring, but i get nothing but a sound thump ! played by the imac.

Important : I can boot into safe mode with no extensions !!!!! Everything works when i hold shift on bootup, i get the desktop (graphics performance is bad, but it works fine) and everything works fine.

What's happening ? I've tried replacing the ram, no dice.

I just downloaded the ASD 3S108 for this model, will try booting from it (maybe i'm not gonna get anything displayed on the screen still, because i got just an external monitor...like when i needed to install OSX)

I don't understand the meaning of that white screen, never seen it before.

I've tried resettting the PRAM, no workie. Anyone got a clue on this one ?

I'm kinda newbie with macs, but i can work computers in general, been a tech for 15 years. thanks for any help...

2. cheebster, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013

cheebster thread starter macrumors member

No one has a clue ? :)

ASD doesn't boot, well all i get is the spinning wheel forever on the second screen with a stop sign..

Like this; http://i.stack.imgur.com/yj8wT.jpg

3. pgrif macrumors regular

to cheebster

you need at least 10.7.5 for MLPF to work.

4. cheebster thread starter macrumors member

Yes i know, but this is not even about MLPF, i'm just running the standard OSX 10.7.4 on the iMac, and i can't even get it to run !

5. macthefork macrumors 6502

Can you boot into the restore partition, then reinstall?

Also, it sounds like some kernel extension or drivers may be incomaptible with your headless iMac. What model iMac did you use to install the OS onto the external drive? The OS installer does detect the model iMac and may install model specific drivers and kernel extensions such as for the GPU. If the iMac you used was quite a few models newer, or even use a different GPU, then that could be your problem.

6. cheebster thread starter macrumors member

AH ! I used a 24'' imac with c2d, but it might have a different video card.

Is a way to check for incomptible kexts than prevent booting a system on osx, to pinpoint the one that's preventing the system from booting ?

I'm gonna dig a little more into that since i got no experience, i'll find out quick.

Is it a matter of just removing .kext file and then rebooting ?

I think the c2d 24'' i installed it with has a nvidia graphics card and the one im using, has a intel chipset (the 17'' headless one).

thx !

7. cheebster thread starter macrumors member

Um, i've removed all the NV**** kexts from s/l/e, but it's still not booting.

Is there a way to find out which kext is preventing a system from booting up on macos ?

// oh, and no i can't reinstall on that one, the install gui ain't showing up if you don't have the internal lcd on an imac like this !

8. cheebster thread starter macrumors member

Q: When you install OSX, prior to the reboot after the first phase of the install, are the kernel extensions that are hardware specific already installed ?

Or the hardware is being detected after the reboot ?

I mean, when you bootup from the install media, then it copies files over.. prior to that reboot, is it universal, or the 'hardware detection' portion is already done?

9. cheebster thread starter macrumors member

10. jpcoelho macrumors member

jpcoelho

Does the 17 iMac enter target disc mode? If yes, you could try to re-install the OS through the 24 inch iMac that way, and see if it boots...

----------

I have cloned discs between different macs (Mini's, iMacs and MacBooks) and they all seem to boot, so having installed it in a different machine should not be the issue here...

11. cheebster thread starter macrumors member

I've tried that, it doesn't work.

I figured something... the imac does NOT display anything on the external monitor unless, the iMAC lcd is connected.

How do i know that, well i've picked up another broken imac this morning. Tried with the lcd from this one... All works, i can enable mirroring. (this lcd is also smashed with lines, but it still displays stuff)

As soon as i disconnect the lcd from the imac, when i reboot i get to that white/greyish background with cursor. the imac doesn't like having just an external lcd.. weeeee

I'm wondering if there's a way i could get around this, in the osx bootup where it detects displays.. force it to boot anyway, to display on external.. I need a osx wiz :)