Imac 17" core duo

Discussion in 'iMac' started by redhatcode29, Dec 3, 2014.

1. redhatcode29 macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Guys, will a kvr667d2s5/1g ram perfectly run in an imac 17" core duo..... Will it fry or harm the imac ?
    Though the minimum bus speed as per Everymac is 667 My imac has been fitted with a pc2 5300 555 12 ram (it hangs randomly).

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That memory will work correctly in your iMac.

3. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Hi Intell, thank you....

4. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Hi intell, initially the new ram could not start up the imac....i had to insert both rams to boot the imac.

Then dismantled the earlier ram, and the imac is now able to boot.

But, my idea of reinstalling a fresh snow leopard....seems to be not possible. I am certainly missing something here.

I used an original 10.6.2 disk, both while in the osx and from bios...i seem to get a message that says that i cant install the OS in that imac.

Do i have to meddle with any other settings? Btw, the install disk is the SL disk from my mac mini, of course the disk says 'mac mini' .... This is not an issue right ?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If the disc says Mac Mini on it, you cannot install it on an iMac. You need a black or white reinstallation disc, not a grey restore disc.

6. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Oh dear ! And i ddnt think this was an issue ! Now the conquest for compatible disc begins..... Thank you again.....

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I suggest you purchase Snow Leopard from Apple. You'll get a compatible disc.