imac 17" osx install on external display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cheebster, Jul 22, 2011.

1. cheebster macrumors member

Hi ! I got an imac 17" with a busted screen. So i purchased a laptop lcd panel with a matched controller to replace it (since there's not much of the panels for those imacs avail, and they all have that problem with lines over time)

It works, the imac boots, i have a display (the panel's controller is connected using the back minidvi connector, so the display is seen by the imac as a external one) but i have a problem installing osx.

All i get is a grey screen with a cursor. It's like, osx displays the installation windows on the internal (not present anymore) screen...

I've tried many tricks to get the windows to be displayed on the screen, but they wont. Anyone has any ideas on a workaround, a way to get the install screen displayed ?

I tought, installing osx on that drive on another mac, and then put the drive back in the imac (but i don't have access/or own another mac)

Or, maybe have a trick to switch the displays (is there a hotkey to switch displays in the osx installer?)

Or, maybe, is there a way to get osx to install, in a unattended mode ? Sounds weird, but just thinking out loud.

Thanks for any advice ! Vincent.

2. cheebster thread starter macrumors member

Bump ! :/ Anyone has *any* ideas on this issue ? Thanks :)

3. cheebster thread starter macrumors member