iMac 17" - what do you think?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FreakinBock, Mar 23, 2009.

1. FreakinBock macrumors newbie

2. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

What is a back up iMac? I think AppleCare would be a better way to spend the money.

3. FreakinBock thread starter macrumors newbie

Well... Maybe not a backup, but i've just liked it. :)

4. adamlbiscuit macrumors regular

but is it necessary? If you want one for back up purposes i think as said above the best thing to do would instead get apple care, or at the very least an external hard drive.

5. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I think it is a bad idea. Instead, go for a 20"/2.4GHz refurb - you get a much faster processor, a Superdrive instead of a combo drive, discrete graphics instead of integrated, and a bigger hard drive. All for $50 less.

6. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I bought a brand new (not refurb) 20" 2.4 Ghz which has MUCH better specs then this model for $100 more.

It is a good idea to offer a computer like this considering the state of the economy, but they could at least do something different then Intel GMA 950 graphics. Also, there might be a few people who actually want the white design or the 17" form factor, but they could have at least updated the graphics on it.

My Mom still uses a 1 Ghz eMac and I could see her going for something like this when it is time to upgrade.

7. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Where do I go to buy one of these? In the UK...

8. FreakinBock thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, refurbished is not a bad idea - but i've incorrectly named it - not a backup but just a second comp for... mmm... i dunno... Just liked it (really, can't tell why)

9. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I like the 17" iMac. Very nice size, especially for a computer for the kids. The combo drive is pretty lame, though. A superdrive and 2GB RAM would make it a great deal.

10. soldierblue macrumors 6502

^^ Yeah, good for kids. No excuse on the lack of a Superdrive or the 2 gigs of RAM, though. I mean, ram is dirt cheap and a DVD burner costs what?

11. MTI macrumors 65816

It's for the low budget educational market, which explains the lack of consumer desirables.