IMac 17inch or 20 inch ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by oldhifi, Jan 2, 2014.

1. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

My mother in law computer (windows) died and I would like to get her a iMac to replace it, I would like a IMac with Snow Leopard, which models are rock solid with less problems?

and Thanks!

2. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

They don't make a 17" anymore and if you did find one I wouldn't think of it as reliable as it's well past its best.

20" Will suffice, if you're looking to save money, you could grab a C2D 2008 model, many of which are still very useable today.

As for Snow Leopard support, you're going to want to get a machine no older than a 2011 model if you can, but in all fairness Mavericks is stable as is Mountain Lion and it's not as if the GUI is a huge departure from SL so don't quite know why you want to specifically stay on Snow Leopard in less she's going to need Power PC support.

Lastly, if she already has a monitor, keyboard etc. Consider a Mac Mini.

3. Bear macrumors G3

My suggestion would be a late 2009 or mid 2010. They came with Snow Leopard and are new enough to still be able to order a set of System Restoration discs from Apple. They're also new enough if you decide you want to upgrade to a later version of OS X.

Note: 2011s original came with Snow Leopard but then were switched to Lion so Apple may decide a 2011 doesn't have a corresponding System Restoration disc.