Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
Hello,
I bought a LaCie 250GB drive a few months ago and it worked fine on my iMac 800. It works fine on my iBook too. It will not work on my new iMac 2.1ghz machine. I've tried two different cables and all ports but the drive simply will NOT show up. Sometimes if I just switch off the drive MacOSX comes up with the "Device removal" error but even that's stopped now. Switching the cable over to the iBook and the drive appears immediatley...weird? What gives?
Cheers!

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Have you tried some of the usual mumbo jumbo™:
- Restarting?
- Repairing permissions?
- Logging into another (admin) account on your iMac (make one if you have to), and then connecting the HD?

If none of this helps at least we know where not to look... ;)

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
Restarting yes, permissions and disk verified yes and I even created a test account...still no joy. It did work when I first got the iMac but has never since. I was some problems with my machine crashing on shutdown but that's been resolved, the only glitch is that the trash dialog sometimes doesn't disappear which usually requires a hard reset as the Finder crashes when I try and relaunch. I'd just reinstall the OS, but I have to back everything up on the LaCie first! Haha, the irony...arg.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
Yup, PRAM, VRAM and something else was reset when I called Apple support for the shutdown crashing problems...

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
That's it. I have used two cables, three computers and all the variety of port options - two on the lacie, two on the new iMac, two on the old iMac and one on the iBook. I've tried a test account, zapped everything Apple told me to (holding a key combo and typing something-reset at a command line) which included PRAM. I've deleted the prefs file too and still no joy. Are you thinking this could be hardware related? I did reinstall the computer a few months ago (format and reinstall) and the drive didnt work before or after...it's not like after this reinstall things went wrong...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
In your bevy of resets, did you come across this? I'm grasping at straws here but it may help. The SMU isn't affected by format and installs which is what makes me think it's worth a try. Failing that, I think you should probably take it in to Apple. :eek:

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
Right, reset the SMU...what a weird way to reset something! No joy. I'll call Apple tomorrow. My last two purchases from Apple have been a bit shaky: iBook logic failure and now this! Hopefully it's something obscure that can be fixed over the phone...however, I may be able to wangle a replacement machine....an Intel one! I very much doubt it! Thanks for all your help guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.