iMac 2.4 GHz + FCE + 720p = unusable

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Sijmen, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

Final Cut Express rocks, my iMac rocks, and 720p video rocks. What doesn't rock is all of them combined.

When I make a project I can choose between several presets, but there's this huge gap between PAL and 720p. I chose the latter because the low PAL resolution isn't all that great on a computer screen.

Now I've been working and cutting along very nicely. FCE is a sweet app to work with after overcoming the initial learning curve.

But there's this problem. I had to re-render after every single edit. This very annoying, so I put on unlimited RT at low quality so I could keep on working, but it's still incredibly choppy when I'm working with the material. Especially once I add a second layer it gets bad, with only a few frames per second on playback and sluggish control (jkl). And when I render a 4m 30s piece of content it takes a whopping 25 minutes.

My source material is H264 with an arbitrary resolution.

Are there any things I can do to enhance performance, or should I just work in PAL?

It's so sad FCE doesn't allow custom resolution sequences :(

2. Sijmen thread starter macrumors 6502a

This was the problem. Using Apple Intermediate Codec for my source material made it fly like a conchord ;)

3. boazjoe macrumors member

Umm, is that good? The Concord went down in a flaming ball, killing all on board and grounding the rest of the fleet.

4. Sijmen thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. boazjoe macrumors member

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yeah, when you were using the h.264 media what you were basically doing was asking FCE to take h.264 media and transcode it on the fly into 720p AIC media when you placed it in the timeline.

Lethal

7. Sijmen thread starter macrumors 6502a

What I find strange is that it isn't possible to convert a clip in the browser (where the bins and files are) to another format right within FCE. Anyways I'm so happy that 720p works (VERY) smoothly now. Almost thought my iMac wouldn't handle it at all.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You can select a clip in the Browser and export it into any codec you have installed on your Mac. At least you can in FCP (I haven't used FCE).

Lethal