Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Dear forum members,

I am reposting this thread from the iMac hardware forum in the hope I might get more responses.

I've looked through a lot of threads about the purchasing decisions for the iMac. However, I could not find one which specifically addresses virtualisation.

I have been a PC user for decades, but have been enamoured by the allure of the iMac. Nonetheless, there are many Windows programs that I need to use, and as such, virtualisation is required. I have not decided on Parallels Desktop of VMware Fusion, but I am leaning towards Fusion since it is less of a performance hit, so I've read.

Originally, I was planning to get the 2.4GHz version upgrading it to 2GB RAM, since I do not perform much processor intensive tasks, such as video editing. But having read about how virtualisation can impact the performance of the iMac, I was wondering whether 2.4GHz is enough. One of the reasons I am going for a Mac is because I am sick of how slow PCs can get after a year or so. I want applications to open quickly, and for interactive tasks to be responsive and smooth. Apple seems to lead in this area.

Does anyone have any experience with the 2.4GHz (2GB) version using Parallels or Fusion, and did they experience sluggishness? Thank you for your help!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I run Fusion on the 2.0GHz Alu iMac with 3GB RAM and there is no sluggishness. I think the RAM is probably more of a deciding factor than the processor speed, unless you're looking into running multiple VMs at the same time.

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Thanks! I see. In that case I'll get the 2.4GHz model. I hope 2GB will be enough!!

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
buy it with 1GB, get 2 x 2GB for 4GB upgrade thru 3rd party.

That's what I did with my brand new iMac 24" 2.4GHz, running VMware Fusion.

I allocate 1.5GB RAM to it, very snappy performance.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
2.4GHz vs. 2.8GHz won't make that big of a difference. As others have stated, RAM is the deciding factor. At minimum, equip your iMac with 2GB if you will be virtualizing Windows XP, or 3GB for Vista.

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Thanks all for your help! I'll get the 2.4GHz with confidence then! By the way, does Apple only have two RAM slots? In that case, I can only max it out with 3GB (1+2), without wasting the original RAM, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.