IMAC 2.66 or 2.93?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FSTR, Aug 18, 2009.

1. FSTR macrumors newbie

I plan to get a new Imac next month, but I am wondering if it would be worth it to spend an extra $300 on the 2.93 vs the 2.66.

2. belvdr macrumors 603

Knowing nothing about what you're wanting to do, it's impossible to say.

3. FSTR thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I will be using it to photo edit, running Aperture, Photoshop etc.

4. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Take the difference in price and spend it on RAM. That'll buy you a lot more than the marginal increase in CPU. Make sure you shop third-party vendors for the RAM, too. Apple usually has terrible pricing on RAM upgrades.

5. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I would upgrade to the ATI Graphics Card first and more RAM as suggested above.

If you were video editing the performance would be worth it because of encoding, but I don't think you will really notice anything for what you are doing.

6. razor-sex macrumors member

i am in the same situation i think i am going to got for the 2.93 because of the better graphics card and the bigger HD.

7. razor-sex macrumors member

i am in the same situation i think i am going to got for the higher one because of the better graphics card and the bigger HD.

8. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

The difference is very small and won't be noticable in normal tasks. Sure, you might knock 4 mins off an hour's video encoding, but that's about it.

9. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

Buy a 2.93 refurb, better graphics card, bigger hard drive same price as a 2.66!