iMac 2.66 or Macbook 2.4? help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by heliocentric, Nov 26, 2008.

1. heliocentric Guest

Hi,

i used to have an old macbook 2.4 with 2 gigs of ram but when i saw the new macbooks were coming out i sold it on ebay and fully intended to by the new macbook 2.4.

But after reading so much bad feedback on the screen on in so many reviews and forums i am now totally unsure.

This got me to thinking maybe i should go for a iMac as i only ever use my computer in my room and never really use it to travel anywhere, plus i could get a better cpu and bigger hd for less money.

any advice on the pros and cons of each system would be great.

Also does anyone know how the gpu of the macbook and the gpu of the iMac compare in performace?

thanks alot

2. dpcalhoun macrumors member

If you aren't going to be moving around a lot, go with the iMac. Like you said, fast CPU, bigger hard drive for a lot cheaper.

Might want to wait until January for an iMac tho.

3. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I think it is pretty likely there will be a new iMac at MWSF '09.

OP: The screen isn't as bad as people say it is. I was just at an Apple Retail Store over last weekend and it looks just... awesome. I personally would probably get the MacBook but that's just me.

4. heliocentric thread starter Guest

or maybe i should get a 24" iMac...i was just worried about the screen being to big and overpowering

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The 24" screen is gigantic... there's no getting around that. But it's a brilliant display, and I would fully recommend getting it. I've got a 22" display at home and a 24" iMac in the production studio, and coming home to the 22", it just seems tiny.

You'll quickly become used to the 24, and then you won't be able to live without it. :)

6. heliocentric thread starter Guest

i think maybe 24" next to my 20" tv will be overkill lol

im gonna go to a shop tomorrow and check them out in person

7. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

The imac will be zippier. The graphics are not integrated and the HDDs are all 7200rpm which helps with performance. The iMac screens are gorgeous too. I miss my old G5 screen; it was beautiful to look at.

My last three Macs have been refurbs. If you don't want to wait for the next release, ease the transition by knowing you paid less and still get a full warranty.

8. heliocentric thread starter Guest

I shall be getting it with student discount anyway so that will save me around £200 I think :)